lonepalm

Desert Rose Plant

I have a Desert Rose Plant. When I bought it, it had a beautiful pink flower. When the bloom was finished, it fell off and has never flowered again. I had been watering it 2X/week. The leaf tips turned brown and the leaves began to fall off. When finally it had lost all of its leaves, it began to grow new ones. I now have a few leaves, I have dropped back on the watering to 1X/week and I water on the easy side. The leaves still turn brown on the tips and eventually fall off. HELP...what am I doing wrong? It gets plenty of sun....I have had it about 1 year. I will take a photo and include that in my next post.
Thank you for any help you can give me....
Liz :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Desert Rose is a plant I have never grown, so I can't offer any real hands-on experience. However, several of our members do grow this plant and there have been many past discussions about its proper care. Based on that, I think you may be giving it too much water. Desert Rose is extremely intolerant of too much water.

I recommend that you click on Search the forum, up on the black tool bar, then type Desert Rose in the search box. I believe, if you look at some of those older threads, you might find some answers to your questions about your plant. :)

lonepalm

Thank you for your suggestions....I will do exactly what you say. I'm sure I will find the answer...thanks again..
Liz

lonepalm

[img]https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/lonepalm15/1DesertRose.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/lonepalm15/2DesertRose.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/lonepalm15/3DesertRose.jpg[/img]

Here are 3 photos of my Desert Rose with the brown tips on the leaves. This plant has already lost ALL of its leaves...and this is the most they have grown back. I think I have over-watered it so I will need to change my method of watering. I usually water it once a week...should that change to 1X/month? And would you suggest not watering it at all in the winter? It is in a west facing window and gets diffused sunlight. Sometimes I put it outside on my patio for more sun...am I doing it harm by placing it outside? Thank you for any and all suggestions...I am most thankful for your help.
Liz

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The only harm from putting the plant outside would be if you put it in full sun right away. The leaves will sunburn, turn brown and fall off. Start it in dappled shade, then move it every other day to a spot where it gets an extra hour of direct sun, until it's finally in full sun all day. :)

I have read that desert rose should not be watered at all during the winter Most cacti in northern climates require little water during the winter because they go dormant. But desert rose is exceptionally intolerant of water during its dormancy.

lonepalm

Thank you for your suggestions. When I put my desert rose outside, it was in shade at first and then light sun... I do think that I have over-watered so I will correct that right away...do you think once a month is good for it now during the summer and fall?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think that I would go 3 or 4 weeks between waterings, then 6 to 8 weeks for fall, then stop for the winter. Watch the plant closely, and if the leaves look like they're beginning to wilt, give it some water.

I think it's better not to water by a schedule so much, but instead, depend more on the appearance of the plant as your guide. I also like to use the weight of the plant and its container as a way of judging the moisture in the soil. I don't actually weigh my plants on a scale, I just heft them in my hand.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”