kathleen3d
Newly Registered

what is this white scaly stuff on my tree trunk?

I have some white scales growing up the trunk of the tree in my front yard. I have just moved into the house and don't know what kind of tree it is. I also have a few other questions, like...why is this tree red when all the other ones are green? I'm new to gardening and need some advice!

I have great pictures, but don't know how to load them. If someone can help me, that would be great!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Instructions for posting pics are at the link below. :)

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]

kathleen3d
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help! Here are the pictures:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a shelf fungus. They usually grow on dead, rotting trees, so not a good sign.

"This fungus, which appears mushroom like growing on trunks and branches, is an indication of something more serious going on inside the tree.
Trees are subject to different types of wood rotting fungal diseases which severely affect their structural integrity. The extent of internal decay from these diseases is usually not evident from the outside. What you will see though, is the appearance of fruiting bodies or mushroom-like structures attached to bark and branches.
By the time these fruiting bodies occur, the branch or trunk will have been greatly weakened. These fruiting structures also indicate that the tree is failing to wall off the spread of this disease. Since the disease does not attack the food or water conducting vessels in the tree, the tree may appear to be otherwise healthy.
These wood rotting diseases can live in the tree many years before the tree becomes a hazard. Treatment includes pruning off all infected branches and twigs, maintaining the vigor of the tree by fertilization and watering, and finally by removing the entire tree before it becomes too weak to support its own weight." https://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/garden_troubleshooting/46294

kathleen3d
Newly Registered

Thank you so much! A few follow up questions:

1. Any idea what could have caused the tree to die/rot/etc?
2. Should I go ahead and remove the tree? The tallest sprig is about 10 feet, the trunk is only about 4 in in diameter...I'm concerned it is already very weak and being so small could blow over (we have incredible wind in Auburn).
3. When finally removed, should I leave the area/soil empty for a while before planting something else?

I really appreciate all the help so far! :)

Kathleen

thanrose
Greener Thumb

With that color, and the overall appearance, it could very well be a sweetgum, or Liquidambar styraciflua. Google images of that tree to see if it's right. The bark looks right too, but it also looks dead and dying... Also possible that it's a maple, or Acer rubrum. The form does not look well pruned or shaped so it isn't likely to be a fancier maple cultivar, but the color sure is pretty.

The color is telling you that the tree is dying. In the fall, it would just be normal fall coloring, but now in mid summer it's sending up a last gasp.

Remove the tree as soon as you can. I might keep it just for the color until the leaves begin to fall, but it won't make it through the winter.

I do not think the soil there is bad or infected. The fungus is a natural part of decay in the forest. You can plant what you want there, but maybe not a tree of that size.

For something to kill a young maple or sweetgum, I'd wonder if there was recent excavation, or perhaps a water main was cleared of roots, or it could have been struck by lightning in the spring. If the latter is the case, you'll probably see scarring on the trunk, a somewhat vertical gash, maybe with a bit of spiral to it. It definitely wasn't something in the last two weeks. The amount of decay in the bark says it's been a lot longer.

kathleen3d
Newly Registered

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it looks like a maple (acer rubrum). We did have a water main break about 10 yards from the tree in March. I wonder if that had something to do with it. :(

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”