Some herb identification. Parsley, cilantro, oregano, basil?

Some herb identification. Parsley, cilantro, oregano, basil?

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 pm

I have a plant that smells and tastes like my parsley but looks like this:

I know there are tons of different types of herbs, can you tell me exactly what this one is? Mind you, it is seeding right now and I did just take a lot of the leaves for cooking a cuban soup. Thanks. :)

Also, my Mother-in-law gave me this plant, said it was basil. It has a very light scent to it. Is it basil? THANKS! :)

Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B
http://miamigardener.blogspot.com
miagardener

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Not sure about the first 3 pictures but the last one is definitely basil. Now, what type basil is a good question. I prefer Sweet Basil and have grown Lemon Basil but no longer do. Sweet Basil is one of my favorites and I use it quite a bit. I'll toss some finely chopped leaves in salads, make bread with it, garlic and parmesian cheese, add it to baked potatoes along with all the other fixings. I find it adds a refreshing taste to lots of food. It's not just for red gravies.
gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:13 pm

The one in the first 3 pics looks like Galium aparine to me. It's known by several common names. The one I'm familiar with is Bedstraw.

Gallium is a rather large genus of plants, so it could be a different species than the one I know as Bedstraw.

I agree that the last picture looks like basil. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:58 am

Kisal - I trust you implicitly on plant ID's, but just out of curiosity, does the bedstraw usually have basal leaves like that? I have bedstraw/cleavers gallium aparine on my hillside and I haven't noticed any basal leaves.
"Only when we see that we are part of the totality of the planet, not a superior part with special privileges, can we work effectively to bring about an earth restored to wholeness." Elizabeth Watson, Quaker
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:52 pm

RBG,the first 3 pics show a plant that Kisal identified as bedstraw. The 4th pic is one of a basil plant. Perhaps you didn't get all 4 pics for some reason.
gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:12 pm

I got it... my question is about the bedstraw and whether it usually has basal leaves like the ones in the pictures. Basal leaves are the first leaves at ground level that are often differently shaped than the rest of the leaves on the plant.
"Only when we see that we are part of the totality of the planet, not a superior part with special privileges, can we work effectively to bring about an earth restored to wholeness." Elizabeth Watson, Quaker
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:12 pm

My bad!! Didn't know that is what those leaves were called. Now I do, thanks to your input. You know, after I posted that response, I had a feeling I may have inserted foot in mouth but it was too late to take it all back.
gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm going with RBG in that the bedstaw I know doesn't have basal leaves. The plant looks a little like something in the chicory family, but the fact that it tastes like parsley and not bitter doesn't fit. Are there any signs of flowers or buds?
microcollie
Green Thumb

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm

The plant in the first 3 photos taste just like a cilantro / parsley. I believe I have seen it sold in grocery stores here in Miami as cilantro actually. It tastes just like it. It's delicious and very flavorful. I put it in guacamole, soups, a lot of Mexican and Cuban dishes. Everyone who comes over and smells it wants to take it home to cook with. It doesn't have any flowers but as you can see it is seeding right now in the photos, the seeds and such are growing outside of the pot and that whole part of the plant that is seeding is very prickly!
As for the basil, it's used in pesto a lot, no?
Thanks for all of the replies, I love all of you guys on this forum. :)
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B
miagardener

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Oh and I looked up bedstraw and it is definitely NOT bedstraw. It is a herb. It didn't grow the stem which toppled over the side with all of the seeds on it until after awhile, it's usually just the pretty long leaves shown in the pot. I think it's a type of cilantro if I'm not mistaken, it tastes so identical to cilantro.

I have lot of seeds if anyone wants any!
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B
miagardener

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Just a clarification. Parsley and cilantro are the same thing, aren't they? Don't they refer to parsley as the actual plant and cilantro as the seeds?
Rachel [miagardener]
Miami, FL - Zone 10B
miagardener

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Maybe it's Chicory.

Eric
DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb