FruitAddict
Cool Member

Dog Garden - Am I crazy?

I have two dogs that just won't stay out of the garden no matter how hard I try!!! 2 years ago I put a chicken wire fence up to keep them out - they still managed to wrigle their fat little overfed bodies under the fence and help themselves to whatever they can find. Last year I made what I thought would be a more sturdy wooden picket type fence to keep them out and they dug holes under the fence to get in... so I decided this year to move the fence in a bit and plant stuff around the outside of it for the dogs to be able to help themselves instead of having their way with the entire garden... seems to be helping. Although they have their eyes on the peas growning on the fence just waiting for some nice pea pods to eat. It is kind of funny when you get a closer look at my garden there is a worn path around the outside of it from the dogs pacing around the outside drooling over what is in it.

There isn't much I grow they won't eat. One of my dogs has learned how to dig carrots (his favorite) and the other has learned how to pull a radish, shake off the dirt lay it down and bite off the radish leaving the leaves there... They pick my rasberries and strawberries. The little trouble makers have almost met their demise a few times after catching them in my garden.

My Dog Garden seems to be working so far this year so maybe I've finally hit on the solution. Any other ideas?

I wonder if the wild tomatoes growning from the piles of dog droppings are safe to eat... Just kidding.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

After a few years of yelling at my guys, I raised all of my beds to a height of about 20". That seems to work with mine, but their problem was tearing through my beds in their zeal to roust squirrels or stray cats. Only one of them has a real taste for vegetables, and he never has learned to harvest, knock on wood.

I have one bed, an oddly shaped one, that isn't raised. Until the seedlings over-run that bed, I have to block it off with over-turned containers and 5-gallon pails. I planted peas in that bed last week and forgot to put the barricade up. Dog prints, 70-pound-dog size, were scattered throughout the bed by the next morning. Rather than replant, I'm letting Mother Nature determine which seeds will make it. Surely a wolf or two has destroyed her work on occasion, right?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Some pretty smart dogs there.
Dog foods with vegetables in them are the high dollar ones, so you are getting some cheap high dollar groceries into your dogs!
And that keeps the dogs from getting bored.

sweet thunder

My dogs like to wreak havoc in the garden, too. My house has two separately fenced yards, one on the north side and one on the south. I've basically given up planting things I care about in the north side yard so I can let the dogs hang out without constant supervision. Chicken wire is working so far on the one or two plants I want to protect.

The south side is MINE. The dogs are allowed out there if they can behave themselves, but they usually get into trouble and get banished.

FruitAddict
Cool Member

The dogs are in big trouble today.... I was working on the yard as I can not go in my garden yet because it is still way to wet from Wednesday's 4" of rain. While I had my back turned they stole my one almost ripe roma tomato from my potted tomatoes... Little Trouble Makers !!! Now I'll have to put all my pots up out of doggies reach!!!

Maybe I should start a Doggie Gardening Diary... No one believes me at work when I complain about what they did the day before... Funny thing is they've hardly touched anything growing in their garden but they sure like to sneak into the main garden when I leave the door open. I put a bell on the one so I can keep track of him while I'm outside with them and he can tip toe in the garden without setting off the bell... It's amazing.

I hope they took time to savor the tomato like I was going to... BIG BRATS!!! No treats for you tonight.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If it works....it's a good idea. And, if its a good, working idea, it means you not crazy.

You definitely don't want the dogs making droppings in the garden since their manure can carry worms and other pathogens that can infect humans.

parker34

I have a 60 lb. year old lab who is very interested in my garden, but hasn't gotten into it, yet. The fence I put up is doing the trick so far. She hasn't tried to dig under, yet. Everytime I go into the garden I make sure to close the gate, because she would follow me in there given the chance.

Suprisingly, she hasn't touched the 2 tomato plants on our deck, yet: especially since there isn't anything that she won't put in her mouth and eat (if there is something she won't eat, I haven't seen it yet)

I plan on raising my garden up for next season, I will still keep the fence though.
Gotta love the fact that I rarely see rabbits in my yard though. :D

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I actually got rid of one of my dogs for his constant garden destruction. (of course it wasn't the only reason we had to give him up) but I can completely understand the doggy destruction!
To keep my dog out of specific areas of the yard I got a "doggy fence" basically its like an electric fence but not hot to the touch. Its radio controlled. Dog wears a collar which when they get to close to the fence it beeps, then if they continue to venture closer then it zaps. Worked great, until the dog himself tore down an entire fence... yeah that didnt go over so well...

But its one option, I know some people are against zaping of any type, but this is very humane as it does give them a nice warning beep...

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

We stayed with my mom while we were redoing my grandparents house. Labs really are some troublesome creatures... She was 10 months old when we moved in. Oh My Mercy...I have never, EVER wanted to hit anything or anyone in my life, until I met Jasmin... At 15 months she weighed 115 lbs of Pure yellow, sneaky, smart, trouble... We had to fence in the garden... Not because she would eat it's contents... Oh no, that would have been easy! The second you left the gate open, it's like switch would flip in her brain and she would start this crazy high speed running! The chase would then ensue... Oh the destruction!!! It was like a game to her. Sitting there waiting...watching... Longing to turn into Satan's minion... We tried ignoring her once while she was in there... We were digging. Then she was digging the plants that were well established! The chase ensued... Lost many a garden glove and plastic mini shovel to that dog! She was just so BAD!

It's nice to garden this year without her...AHhhh!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ex-pens. Ex-pens. Ex-pens. (Exercise pens, like portable fences.) Train your dogs to them when puppies, then, when they're adults, they'll think the pens are a special den.

Here's a selection of ex-pens like the one I use when I have to, although my dogs are usually content to watch me work outdoors: https://www.petedge.com/catalog/search.jsp?Ntt=ex%20pens&Ntk=AllSearch&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Nty=1

If your dogs are rambunctious, there are stakes available to secure the ex-pen to the ground (shown on the same display page as above).

What breed are the OP's dogs, the ones who dig under the fence and go through the chicken-wire fence? How big are they?

Ex-pens come in many sizes, from a size appropriate to confining Yorkie puppies to sizes for full-grown Irish Wolfhounds. My guys are Bernese Mountain Dogs, and I put both of my adults in one ex-pen (the pen is 42" tall). At public events, I've put one of their doggie buddies in the pen with them. They were all quite happy, one big pile of DOG.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Cerbiesmom

LOL. My little dacshund ate just about everything I planted in my unsuccessful garden last year. She ate green bean plants, squash, parsley, lemon balm, what have you. She's a tiny 6lb monster. I'd take a 100lb lab's mischief over hers any day. I taught my heeler to tell on her, so he herds her away from the garden now, and brings her to me. So far this year, they've mostly only eaten what I've picked and handed to them. Wait, Max ate some dirt right after I fertilized with fish emulsion. That was gross. He wanted to lick my face right after. Goofy dogs.

FruitAddict
Cool Member

Oh this is greaet I am not the only one... my dogs are mutts from the pounds one is Half Austrial Sheep Herder w/ Golden Retriever - 80lbs and the other is a Blue Heeler boxer mix - 55 lbs.

I know exactly what you mean when you say your Lab terrorizes the garden - the worst is not what they eat but when they get caught. When I have to yell at them to get out of the garden they go into panic mode trying to get out of the garden and can't seem to remember how they got in there and run around trying to find the way out destroying eveything in front of them.

I've thought about the electric fence but just can't bring myself to do it. Both my dogs have "abuse" history and I can't can't can't do it.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Haha easier said than done! She was heavily exercised at the time. She ran 2-5 miles with me almost every day. It was a game to her. And she is an attention seeker. We don't live with her anymore now that our house is finished. She DEFINITELY has my mom trained. She's spoiled. She was an angel when me and DH were alone with her, but the moment my mom injected herself into the situation........Satan's minion :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

FruitAddict
Cool Member

Oh this is greaet I am not the only one... my dogs are "mutts" from the pounds one is Half Austrial Sheep Herder w/ Golden Retriever - 80lbs and the other is a Blue Heeler boxer mix - 55 lbs.

I know exactly what you mean when you say your Lab terrorizes the garden. For my dogs the worst is not what they eat but when they get caught. When I have to yell at them to get out of the garden they go into panic mode trying to get out of the garden and can't seem to remember how they got in there and run around trying to find the way out destroying eveything in front of them.

I've thought about the electric fence but just can't bring myself to do it. Both my dogs have "abuse" history and I can't can't can't do it.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Get Aussie/Golden and Heeler X used to the ex-pen by putting toys and food inside while it's open and in a part of the yard where there is NO garden (if you have such a part of the yard). The usual dog-training routine: praise them for entering the ex-pen and playing with a toy, eating the food/treat, etc. If there is no garden-free part of the yard, you'll need to focus entirely on getting them used to the ex-pen for a few minutes a day and *then* working in the garden.

Redirect them back into the ex-pen a couple of times so that they experience success with it, and then BACK INTO THE HOUSE with them while you work outdoors.

Let them experience a little frustration at "Mommy's" absence. She's outside; they're not. (This assumes that they have had exercise at another time of the day.)

Next day: repeat the "enter the ex-pen / play with toy or eat food / praise" routine. This time, close the ex-pen door behind them and see how they react. If you can arrange to read for maybe 5 minutes fairly close to them, that would be terrific! even 1 minute would be helpful. Then back into the house.

Ultimate objective, to be achieved by small small steps: The dogs will WANT to go into the ex-pen while you're outside b/c that is the option you have presented them with. Or, of course, they can wait indoors while you work outdoors. (ha ha that they will *choose* this option)

Keep a supply of treats handy so that you can move the ex-pen closer to where you're working--it only needs to be in line of sight and not proximity--and extend the amount of time they're in it. Throw them treats every few minutes while they're becoming accustomed to it; extend the intervals between treats as time goes on, esp. when they're being good (e.g., quiet)!

Keep the ex-pen training active during the winter as well; make it a nice, cozy place for them to be in bad weather. Maybe "favorite" blankets and toys? or maybe they can eat dinner in the ex-pen? (Can you tell that I have very food-motivated dogs? :lol:)

Of the four Bernese I've lived with long-term (I came to dogs in adulthood; cats I've had all my life), three were out-and-out rescues/rehomes. I've used no force/abuse/violence/shock etc. in training them, and all have earned the AKC "Canine Good Citizen" award. (Which, by the way, is *finally* available to mixed-breed Good Citizen canines as well. :D https://akc.org/ )

My primary sources for "how to train your dog" have been the Whole Dog Journal (monthly newsletter; see https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/) and classes at the two local humane societies. The lead trainer at one humane society has written a couple of books on dog training; I read her book. I've read other books as well, but these form the core of my learning, and the steps I've outlined above are almost word for word from the Whole Dog Journal.

Cynthia

FruitAddict
Cool Member

Wow thats great and wonderful information - thank you for taking the time to share that. I appreciate it and it actually gives me hope I can do it. too. Thank you.

BP

FruitAddict wrote:I have two dogs that just won't stay out of the garden no matter how hard I try!!! 2 years ago I put a chicken wire fence up to keep them out - they still managed to wrigle their fat little overfed bodies under the fence and help themselves to whatever they can find. Last year I made what I thought would be a more sturdy wooden picket type fence to keep them out and they dug holes under the fence to get in... so I decided this year to move the fence in a bit and plant stuff around the outside of it for the dogs to be able to help themselves instead of having their way with the entire garden... seems to be helping. Although they have their eyes on the peas growning on the fence just waiting for some nice pea pods to eat. It is kind of funny when you get a closer look at my garden there is a worn path around the outside of it from the dogs pacing around the outside drooling over what is in it.

There isn't much I grow they won't eat. One of my dogs has learned how to dig carrots (his favorite) and the other has learned how to pull a radish, shake off the dirt lay it down and bite off the radish leaving the leaves there... They pick my rasberries and strawberries. The little trouble makers have almost met their demise a few times after catching them in my garden.

My Dog Garden seems to be working so far this year so maybe I've finally hit on the solution. Any other ideas?

I wonder if the wild tomatoes growning from the piles of dog droppings are safe to eat... Just kidding.
Let me guess? You have labs?????? My lab puppy started jumping up and the 3 foot high fence that surrounds one of my gardens and the boards holding the fence up are so old they lean with only his 40 pounds on it. Can't get in there with him outside now. Back when we could bait deer here in Michigan my last lab would chew into the bags of deer carrots and sugar beets. He liked eating apples he found in the fields too

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”