Are my tomatoes and cukes too close together?

Are my tomatoes and cukes too close together?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I need a little help. I made an old bookshelf into a planters box and I didn't really foresee how much space my little guys would need. I have six tomato plants and six cucumbers plants in two 1'x2.5'x9'' (approx) spaces. Too close? Should I transplant some of them? check out the pics.

Thanks, Tom

rhoderider

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Oh yes.... WAY too close together. One of your shelf spaces is MAYBE enough soil for ONE tomato plant. One shelf could be two or three cucumber plants because they are going to send vines spreading out all over.

You will need a lot more support for your tomatoes than the one little stick, except that you could in your circumstances just grow them as sprawling vines, trailing down over the edges of your box.

Put some horizontal strings across the deck railing corner and your peas can grow up that.

Your bookshelf obviously has a back on it. You did remember to drill some drainage holes in it?

Dig out all but one of the tomatoes and plant them in 5 gallon buckets with drainage holes drilled, ONE per bucket.

One full sized tomato plant will get 6 or more feet tall and 3 or more feet wide, depending on how it is supported and managed.

PS Welcome to the Forum! Hope you find it friendly and helpful! :)
"Only when we see that we are part of the totality of the planet, not a superior part with special privileges, can we work effectively to bring about an earth restored to wholeness." Elizabeth Watson, Quaker
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:57 pm

That bookshelf idea is nice! I think that's a great idea for someone who wants a raised up bed, and nice neat sections :)
tylianna

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Now I thought I read somewhere this spring that growers have switched to growing two tomato plants per pot for more yield and less space consumption. I am trying it on two of my pots this year just to experiment. I remember the article saying something about the pollination and competition forces more fruit production. If this is totally wrong I will split them up before they get too big. I am still pinching flowers for root formation at this point. What do you think?
timberjet

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Spacing tomatoes is quite controversial. We have people here who put a dozen plants in a 4x8' bed and we have people who space their plants a yard in every direction, and they all swear they are right! And they all may be, for their climate and way they grow things.

I live in a VERY humid climate, not only tons of summer rain, but very humid when not raining. I have to be careful about diseases and air circulation. I plant mine close (5 in a 4x8 bed), but do a fair amount of pruning and suckering to maintain air circulation.

If you don't prune/remove suckers at all, then you probably need more space between your plants. If you live in a less humid climate you can get away with more crowding. If your plants are crowded, you are going to have to work a lot harder at watering/fertilizing to be sure they aren't competing too much. I don't fertilize my tomatoes (or anything else) at all, just top dress with compost and extract of compost and mulch well.

So lots of variables.... but personally, I would stop pinching those flowers! Waste of good (potential) tomatoes. If your tomatoes had a healthy root system when you put them out and you buried them deeper than they were in the pot, they will be fine. Enjoy some of those early tomatoes.
"Only when we see that we are part of the totality of the planet, not a superior part with special privileges, can we work effectively to bring about an earth restored to wholeness." Elizabeth Watson, Quaker
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Neat Idea!

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:05 pm

I agree that you need to drill holes in the bottom, but I do like how nice and neat it looks. I would fill that with lettuce,spinach,and other leafy veggies
Brenda Snyder

:)
bsflower13

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 am

Controversy! I should have known it wouldn't be so simple.. Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm glad you guys like my bookshelf too.

Well it's pretty clear that my plants need some more room.. even 12 plants in a 4x8 foot bed have more room than mine. I think I'll go with two in the box and the put the rest into pots. This is my first personal garden so I'm bound to hit some snags en route.

NOW, here's another issue.. I planted my tomatoes from seed in the spring and I put a few seeds in each seeding tray. now I have this going on:

Am I correct in worrying that three individual plants shouldn't be coming out of the same spot?

Thanks again, Tom
rhoderider

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:35 am

PS Fear not, I drilled many holes!
rhoderider

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:49 am

You really need to "thin" those plants to one at a station. It looks like you have 3 growing at each station. That will only hurt the plants by them fighting for nutrients and room.

I go by the staple of 2 foot minimum for tomato plants.

By using pots like you suggested that would give you some more fruit and help the plants out by giving them the room they need.

Good luck.
Maya we miss you more than words can describe. We love you so much and always will. Good bye baby girl.

Feed the Earth and it will feed you!
gixxerific
Mod - Tomato Forum

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 am

I really like your planter made from a book shelf! Gosh, I see them on the side of the road all the time, just waiting for the garbage man to pick up. It would be great for a salad table for the elderly...Thanks for the pic!

EG
engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:58 am

The fact that you need more space has been covered. I do think that you can get away with two tomato plants in each "shelf", but the cucumbers will take more space. You'd be surprised how many cukes you'll get from one plant, if you pick them regularly. You can, however, trim a cucumber plant as it gets overgrown for your space. As for those tightly sprouted tomatos, I would cut the weakest ones off at the surface, rather that pull the roots out.
orgoveg
Green Thumb

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 pm

OK, you definitely have to thin those plants to 1 to a spot. You seeded them fine, it's just that once the seedling emerge, they are usually thinned by their first or second true leaves.

Now, I think you may be able to get away with 2 toms to a shelf, but no more than that.

Of course, this is coming from a someone who planted their tomatoes 1 ft. apart in rows 18 in. apart :lol:.

If you don't have enough room to have you plants properly spaced (if there is such a thing), instead of crowding them in like me, why don't you give a few away to friends or family?

Good luck.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!
garden5
Super Green Thumb