* Login CLICK HERE TO REGISTER       

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:58 pm 

I have used Miracle Gow it in the past but never on a garden. Is it worth it and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:38 pm 
Cool Member

I have used it but I can't honestly tell if it had benefited anything. A week or two ago I mixed some into the water I was using for some cucumber plants that I have in a pot since they didn't look like they were growing anymore. They still don't look like they have grown all that much since then.

I would suggest you invest the money into some compost or manure and just work that in for next years garden if it is already too late to do it this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:46 pm 
Super Green Thumb

It works best if you have a good deal of organic matter in the soil and you use it fairly frequently and diluted down. That way whatever the plants don't absorb, the soil microbes can, and you won't be wasting it by having rain wash it out of the root zone. I find it much easier to use granulated fertilizer, either organic or traditional, mixed into the soil or top dressed. The liquid/crystal fertilizers are easiest to use with containers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:43 am 
Greener Thumb

I have used miracle gro off and on over the years, but was never really consistent (or dependent) enough on it to know whether it was a miracle product or not.

Over the last two years I have tried to grow from seed everything that I plant in my garden. That means a lot of starter tomatoes, peppers, etc inside under a grow light. First year was so-so, and the plant did very well in the garden.

This year I had things going what I thought was very well. I planted the seed in miracle gro soil, and transplanted to larger pots after about 4 leaves. They grew well (I thought). So one day I drive by a large Seed/Supply store that has lots of plants along the parking lot. Looking at their tomato plants I thought "Mine do not look so good after all".

I purchased some miracle gro fertlizer that you dilute with water and feed the plants ever 5 - 7 days. I tried to be very faithful with the application, and the plants did great. I have one group of tomatoes that I plan to continue the 5-7 day application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:27 am 

I have found that it works very well. Before I started using it on my tomatoes they gave me all most no fruit at all. Then I tryed it and it worked very well and now I'm getting 3 times the amount. But I do have a very well composted garden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:45 am 
Greener Thumb

Yes it works great but I have not used it in several years.

Miracle grow has a lot of nitrogen just like manure has a lot of nitrogen that is what makes the plants grow larger and turn deep dark green. The larger the plant gets the more leaves it has and the more leaves it has the more sun light the plant can collect this produces more fruit, better fruit and larger fruit.

If you do not fertilize a plant it will be puny and the fruit will be puny too. Fertilizer or not any garden vegatable grown in the shade will be puny. If I do not fertilize my tomato plants produce few tomatoes and small tomatoes. I typically get a bushel basket of tomatoes from each tomato plant each summer. With no fertilizer I get less than 1/2 the quantity of tomatoes. Corn requires a lot of nitrogen the only way to have large corn is give it nitrogen.

Miracle Grow is over priced. I buy 15/15/15 fertilizer and Urea. I think Urea is better than Ammonium Nitrate. Ammonium Nitrate is great but you have to be careful not to over dose the plants. I put Urea on my apple tree and it produced 14 bushets of apples.

Last edited by Gary350 on Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:06 am 
Greener Thumb

Miracle gro is high in nitrogen which will feed the leaves and reduce vegetable production. If you don't mind small yields, then go ahead.

And besides, if you're going to use chemical fertilizers, you might as well buy vegetables from the gorcery store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
And besides, if you're going to use chemical fertilizers, you might as well buy vegetables from the gorcery store.

Miracle Gro is not toxic. So it is going to be safer to eat Miracle Gro fed vegetables that have not been exposed to pesticides than to eat grocery store vegetables that have been exposed to pesticides.

You make an interesting point about the fertilizer feeding the leaves. :)

Of course, there are better ways of growing vegetables that are friendlier to the soil, but that is off topic to this discussion. If the OP is interested they can check out the organic gardening forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:22 am 
Green Thumb

a0c8c wrote:
NO! Miracle gro is high in nitrogen which will feed the leaves and reduce vegetable production. If you don't mind small yields, then go ahead.

Plants use nitrogen to grow... Some more than others... Such as corn, melons and pumpkins.... Which have A LOT of plant... You'd have to incorporate a whole lot of manure and compost to feed corn sufficiently.

Miracle Gro is pretty puny as far as N-P-K content, especially after mixing with water if you do the math...

The biggest benefit (if there is one) are the micro nutrients available to the plant... Especially if it is applied to the foliage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:36 am 
Super Green Thumb

Crystal fertilizers are just like any other. Plant growth depends on the ratio of the NPK, sunlight and soil moisture. I can use organic fertilizers and get excessive foliage growth and inhibit fruiting. Miracle Grow has several different formulas, and if you use the wrong one you can screw up your vegetables, and if you use too much you can screw up your vegetables. The tomato formula has more or less the same NPK ratio as organic Tomato-Tone, it is just more concentrated (numbrs are higher but ratio is similar). A big problem with crystal fertilizers is that they are made for use under optimal conditions of temperature, sunlight, and soil moisture (which practically no home gardener has), and the recommended dosages are for those conditions so they tend to be a bit heavy handed. If you use the recommended dosage and have only six hours of sunlight instead of the 12-14 under which the formula was tested you will get overgrowth.

Flavor components come from trace elements in your soil and you should be using compost to replace these every year. Poor flavor comes from poor soil, not from the fertilizer. Wine and coffee are the most notable examples of the effect of the native soil on flavor. Kona is very different from Columbian coffee, but they both get industrial fertilizer. Some of the most bland coffee I ever drank was a pound of Trader Joe's organic something or other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 am 

Miracle grow comes in different formulations.The type for lawns is very high in nitrogen to make grass grow.It would be good for leafy vegetables.I'm not sure if thee is a mixture for general garden use.I know they have a high acid formula for azaleas and such.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 pm 
Green Thumb

People argue back and forth about it all the time... so, just experiment to find out what works best for you.

For me, personally, I would not use Miracle Grow (or any "chemical" fertilizer) in my garden. From my observations, I have better tasting produce and less pest problems by growing with organic methods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:20 pm 
Super Green Thumb

I've heard of people who use it with good results. Weather or not they would have had those good results if they didn't use MG remains unseen. However, I've also heard of those who have had negative affects using MG, which were definitely from the fertilizer.

Personally, I don't use it. From my understanding, chemical fertilizers like these produce negative affects on the soil's biology.

I hope HG comes on the thread and lends some of his always enlightening scientific knowledge on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:48 pm 
Mod - Tomato Forum

I used to use it with no problem I haven't used it in a while and still have good gardens.

Feed the Earth and it will feed you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 pm 
Super Green Thumb

I don't use - won't use and buy Organic vegetables at the grocery store. :wink:

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next