Brunkers
Newly Registered

Shogun Juniper Stiffness

I am new to Bonsai, and experienced Nursery Manager. I bought my shogun a month ago, and knew to put it outside two weeks and in for two days and so on.. now it has lost its soft needle texture to become stiff but still green...I just halfed the 20-20-20 fertilizer and set it outside...winter is almost here and I get six feet of snow and -10 to -20 degree temps from Oct through March up here in Alaska..I want to leave it outside but it should not be able to get covered with snow correct?
I think I caught the problem eairly on and will keep it outside for awhile
Just respond with some tips if you can.

Brunk (Live Nursery Spec. Lowes)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That "stiff" foliage is noty a good sign; junipers can remain green for a month or two after they die. The fertilizer has me a little nervous too; you should have been slowing the fertilizer intake a month ago at least.

I have a bad feeling your tree has already entered permanent dormancy, but I hope I'm wrong. Snow cover would be a good thing in your area; never colder than 32 degrees and adding moisture in a slow and controlled manner is a good thing this time of year.

So keep an eye on the tree; a recommended amount of Super Thrive would make me feel a little better about what I've heard, but do not be suprised if this tree is dead on the hoof :cry:

Scott

Brunkers
Newly Registered

ok, I figured as much...I can get Superthrive where I work, so I will try that. it also might have been re-planted to shallow by yours truly. I will give it another go if it dies, when my nursery gets another shipment in..

what's ten dollars to learn what I did wrong?

Brunk

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ten dollars for a "bonsai" is a warning sign unto itself. At that price what you are getting is a one gallon juniper hauled out of it's pot, root pruned, top pruned, and stuffed into a bonsai pot. Any bonsai establishment would label this pre-bonsai, in Japan they refer to them as pre-bonsai until they've been seven years in training! So it's no wonder that a lot of these trees don't make it...

But at that price you can try until one takes... :wink:

Scott

Brunkers
Newly Registered

I just went outside to check up on it...the needles are softening up and it may be getting its second wind. it is really dry up here in the winter and I hope it pulls through it shouldn't snow till nov. but I will leave it out there indefinately watering twice a week? :idea:

maybe it will be grateful.

Brunk

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Could be; if it's as dry as you say then twice a week may not do it. I hate to use time as a measure for watering; when the soil get dryISH down a knuckle then I water (that's for junipers; I wouldn't wait that long for a ficus or serissa).

Hope your tree remains grateful...

Scott

Brunkers
Newly Registered

Juniper recovering well outside. I put an Alaskan Amber box over the top of it to keep snow cover to a minumum. I am very happy to figure out the problem with your help! One last question to End this thread..

do I need to bring it inside at all?.

You have been more than amazing!

Brunk

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I hesitate to say no; The roots are above ground and it IS Alaska. That said, Juniperus procumbens 'Nana' is a Zone 4 plant and if you have reliable snow cover (doesn't appear to be an issue :roll: ) you should be able to leave it outside. The plant will need less watering and care as a result and will have a much improved dormancy. Just make sure to check it every week or so for water...

I like the happy ending; glad to help...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”