applestar
Mod

Oh WOW! Mouth-watering! :D

My indoor Contender is still producing even though it's seriously pot-bound now, drying out every day, slowly losing lower leaves, AND three of the citrus seeds I sowed around the base of the plant have sprouted (I can't remember if these are from Clementines or Honeybell hybrids). I've been giving it worm tea in encouragement.

I have two outside tomato plants with flowers.... :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have some golf ball sized tomatoes now, without a hint of blush, not even paler green, but they have a ways to go in size first. We've been having a long spell of chilly, cloudy, rainy lately. If it would warm up a bit more, the tomatoes would make better progress.

The Ultimate Opener that I have never grown before is doing best so far, ahead of all the others.

And I have to keep cutting back the borage I planted with them to keep it from taking over. Stuff is huge and VERY fast growing. I can't say people didn't warn me. My only disappointment is I have yet to see a honey bee near it. I was out deadheading the May Night salvia and there was a honeybee and a bumble bee working those flowers.

runfox
Cool Member

Planted them March 5th, they are now 5 foot tall and growing like crazy still. Had to fight off a bunch of tomato hornworms, my wife has good eyes. They didn't eat too many leaves , we caught them early. We have a bunch of tomatos on the plants, Big boy hybrid and grape hybrid.

[img]https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/Runfox/Garden%20and%20Chickens/CIMG0202.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/Runfox/Garden%20and%20Chickens/CIMG0204.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/Runfox/Garden%20and%20Chickens/CIMG0208.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You Florida folks just cheat! :) We should have a separate race for Southern gardeners!

Looking beautiful!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Alex,

Nice growing, congrats on the first maters!!!

My early plants are all with fruit, some have been a "full size" for almost 3 weeks, but the weather is not exactly cooperating in terms of provision of warmth and sunlight to ripen them... Still waiting (now, almost impatiently).

There are 2 basket varieties that started to blush, but I really can't count them for the race, those are always early.

Happy growing to all!

Regards,
D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ok, so here is my first mater "mini" - basket variety "Himbeer Rose":

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatorosehimbeer0523/876049471_fSDs3-XL.jpg[/img]

I wish it was something from the main garden, but... Soon, I hope!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Not sure if this would count either. It is a black cherry, I have been waiting for this particular fruit to do this for a month and a half or more. :lol:

There are tons more on other plants just waiting but the weather has been cold and wet. We are in a hot humid spell now so maybe they will shift into high gear. That is if it is not too hot. It went from 60's to low to mid 90's in one day. Welcome to St Louis.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03653.jpg[/img]

albucsfan
Cool Member

gixxerific wrote:Not sure if this would count either. It is a black cherry, I have been waiting for this particular fruit to do this for a month and a half or more. :lol:

There are tons more on other plants just waiting but the weather has been cold and wet. We are in a hot humid spell now so maybe they will shift into high gear. That is if it is not too hot. It went from 60's to low to mid 90's in one day. Welcome to St Louis.
:lol:
If it switches back and forth a few more times, it'll be just like north alabama!!

They say, "You know you live in the south when you have to run the heater and the AC in the same day" and ain't it the truth!!

That said... we picked (and ate) the first 3 grape tomatoes today, am just waiting for the yellow pears to ripen....got a couple of "early girls" starting to blush too....we'll see :)

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:... It is a black cherry, I have been waiting for this particular fruit to do this for a month and a half or more. :lol ...
Dono - pretty fruit, but I hate to tell you, it's no black cherry my man! As long as it taste good - just enjoy it anyway!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:
gixxerific wrote:... It is a black cherry, I have been waiting for this particular fruit to do this for a month and a half or more. :lol ...
Dono - pretty fruit, but I hate to tell you, it's no black cherry my man! As long as it taste good - just enjoy it anyway!

Regards,
D
Well than what is it? :lol: That is what I have written down on my map. Not to say I haven't mixed other things this year. It looks big in the pic but it is only like ping pong ball or smaller.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dono - no clue...

Black cherry usually has long fruit trusses, with the fruit spaced further apart. And the color - starts out green, darker at the top, then, slowly changing color from green, to purple-ish tint, then eventually dark purple/brown shades, and if I remember correctly, semi-transparent epidermis . Never red/orange stage.

If you can list all the varieties you growing - we may be able to figure out... :wink:

On the side note - I sooooo want to taste home grown tomato already!!!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Giant Syrian, Cherokee Purple, Black From Tula, Amish Paste, Brandywine, Isis Candy Cherry, Kumato

It would have to be one of those I sure hope one of these is a Black Cherry that was my second most anticipated tomato this year. I do have one going in a pot (I think? nutz: )

Dang it I just looked up B Cherry and that is definitely not one. I thought they were large for a cherry. But in searching I saw it again: people saying it is the best cherry they have ever had to best tomato ever in their garden.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Giant Syrian, Cherokee Purple, Black From Tula, Amish Paste, Brandywine, Isis Candy Cherry, Kumato...
Dono - from everything that you listed, I belive Isis Candy is the only one that may fit the description. From what I've read, most people love them. So when you do taste it, be sure to let us know!

Regards,
D

P.S. The much anticipated BC must be growing somewhere in your garden :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It is not Isis candy. I have one right next to this plant and it has regular size cherry tomatoes on it.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Last year I got a pack of cherokee chocolate seeds. I didn't mix the labels, but when the fruit ripened, it was 'green zebra'. I've never bought green zeba! The seeds and package were mismatched at the factory. Also, I think that there are occassional stray seeds that get packed with the intended variety from time to time.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Last year I got a pack of cherokee chocolate seeds. I didn't mix the labels, but when the fruit ripened, it was 'green zebra'. I've never bought green zeba! The seeds and package were mismatched at the factory. Also, I think that their are occassion stray seeds that get packed with the intended variety from time to time.
I was going to say that myself. I just read last night that there have been problems from the seed vendor I got these from like that.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I picked some red ripe Juliet tomatoes this morning. I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I'm pretty sure others have been eating garden tomatoes for a couple of weeks now. I'm still a couple of weeks away from ripe full sized tomatoes.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have at least 3 plants with ripe fruit on them I will wait until tomorrow morning to pick so they are fresh for my party on Mon.

I'm a little upset about my Black cherry ordeal. I did happen to find some locally and bought them they will go in then ground this morning. But as I was saying there has been some talk of seed mix ups and just packets of bunk seed from where I got these. Some may think I'm crazy for calling that a Black Cherry but those were the first ones started and I am pretty sure I didn't mix up the names. I have some others out there from the same place that are supposed to be Amish Paste, but they don't look like what they are supposed to be either.

So I'm wondering if it's not my screw up but someone else's. Time will tell, and as long as the tomatoes I have are good that is fine but I was really looking forward to the certain variety's I took so long choosing.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good going guys!

Looks like everyone's tomatoes are starting to trickle in!

Kalinka, Kimberly and Lambada now have ripe fruit, same as you, Dono, will be picking them tomorrow morning...

Went to snip some unwanted suckers early this morning, I tell you, with 50+ plants - a chore, so I look up to those who rases 100+ varieties! I spent just about most of the day, adjusting supports, tying the "runaway" branches. Was such a perfect day for it to, overcast, light breeze...

One thing I've noticed, since all the seedlings got a "cold treatment" (posted earlier), all the plants have many fruits on the lower clusters, almost near the ground. Seems to work as suggested! Didn't have them this early or this low on the plants last year.

Happy growing all!

Regards,
D

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:You Florida folks just cheat! :) We should have a separate race for Southern gardeners!

Looking beautiful!
LOL

I feel for you rainbow, I grew up in NE Ohio and I know how miserable it is up there. My dad still hasn't even put in his garden yet, he has been too busy planting the fields. At least that is going well.

But yes, us southern gardeners have a sickening advantage over you northern Yankees. Even this year with the "late winter" we are still a month ahead of most.

Oh and to be on topic I picked my first tomatoes last saturday.

Now the race is on for the first eggplants. :D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote: Kalinka, Kimberly and Lambada now have ripe fruit, same as you, Dono, will be picking them tomorrow morning...
Hmmm - yeah, so much for that... My parents were over this morning, fresh salad, mom had to check how her "Lubasha" unknown volunteer she found where we've never grown anything, so this is the second year I'm growing this sweet little determinate pears for her.

Anywho - picked few ripe ones (from L to R): Kimberly, Kalinka and Lambada (about 45 days from transplant)

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoskalinkalambada/883588465_B6g3i-L.jpg[/img]

Flavor: Lambada is burst of sweet/acid with assertive tomato flavor, favorite of the three, Kalinka - milder, but also nice tomato flavor, little more acidic, still some sweetness, softer flesh - 2nd in taste. Finally, Kimberly - still MUCH more taste than anything I've had in the past 6 months, just more on the acidic side.

Many fruits are now getting a blush, so looks like tomato indulgence season is starting!!! :flower:

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My latest hit:

DV this is the mystery plant that I had Brandywine written on back when they were in seedling stage. Though it's not a true potato leaf.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03659.jpg[/img]

And again the so called Black Cherry. I'm really not sure what this is. I am pretty sure I didn't mess up the naming on this could be the wrong seed or something. But here they are anyway's
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03660.jpg[/img]

I also have a few Isis Candy Cherry that are ripe and some others blushing.

Of course I'm going to Florida this Fri so when I get back I will probably be overwhelmed with stuff.

Anyone want to come babysit My garden while I'm gone?

mtmickey

I am so jealous. We were hoping to get our tomatoes in the ground this weekend (we have a very late frost date), but alas it has been raining and raining and raining. :cry: All these lovely pictures of freshly picked tomatoes is making me drool :D and mine aren't even in the ground yet. AHHH...it is nice to live vicariously through those that have such nice gardens already. Thanks for sharing. :lol:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Got 1 black krim and 2 yellow tumblers day before yesterday, and a whole bunch of squash and zucchini!!! I knew about the squash, but the maters were a total surprise!!! Just saw this post!!! Was wondering about a bragging board :) can't wait to add a pic when I get off work!!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It seems there are several others that ordered Black Cherry from a certain vendor that are not BC. :twisted:

applestar
Mod

I was just looking at my tomato plants today. No where near harvest yet, but I couldn't help thinking "These can't be my tomatoes!" They've doubled in size since they were planted 2-1/2 wks ago. The earliest 3 to be planted are flowering and have tiny green fruits as are some of the others including the newly planted sauce toms. Despite their late start and initially spotty germination issues, the Tomato Giveaway seedlings ended up all sprouting and, in some cases, superceding earlier planted tom starts in growth and vigor.

There is one potato-leafed volunteer that sprouted inside a WOW. It's the biggest and stockiest of them all. :shock:

kimbledawn

I made it!!!! My first tomato turned red yesterday and I couldn't wait to get home today and eat it :) wellllll......when I got home from work only a part of the outside was left :shock: I think the squirrels got to my first tomato. :evil: :evil: :evil:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Alright Kimbeldawn at least that time is near, just have to keep the squirrels away now.

Apple the best tomatoes are volunteers. No work free fruit what can be so wrong about that?

I'm off to Florida tomorrow and I have a bunch ripening. When I get back it will be on I'm sure. I know my Isis candy will be full there are a ton of them just about ready. Probably by tomorrow when I'm leaving they will be perfect. have several on my counter top that will not be eaten. But at least they will add to to next years volunteers. :lol:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

mtmickey wrote:I am so jealous. We were hoping to get our tomatoes in the ground this weekend (we have a very late frost date), but alas it has been raining and raining and raining. :cry: All these lovely pictures of freshly picked tomatoes is making me drool :D and mine aren't even in the ground yet. AHHH...it is nice to live vicariously through those that have such nice gardens already. Thanks for sharing. :lol:
mtmickey, how about we have our own competition, show these southerners how gardening is done? I don't know Ronan, but if you're in the Upper Great Plains, as am I, then you're a few months behind the others. We could race for the first July tomato . . .

mtmickey

Stella, you've got a deal. I'm in the Northwestern Montana and so excited because last night it quit raining long enough for me to get the tomato and pepper plants in the ground :D It was a hell of a muddy planting session, but sure did good for the soul and things look good today, even in the pouring rain. Tomorrow we have a chance of sun, so maybe I'll get a few more things in the garden. :-()

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Apple - truly amazing how quickly those guys can grow, isn't it?

kimbledawn - there will be more, I promise!

Gixx - enjoy your trip! I know you'll come back to a basket full!

Stalla/mtmickey - nothing wrong with July tomatoes, that's when I get most of the main crop. Just this time I decided to take a chance and plant early. Good luck you guys!

Tomatoes are coming in pretty much by a handful every day now. Bursztyn, Taxi and Stupice have shared their fruits now as well, and Noire de Crimee ripened first two fruits (50 days from the transplant)

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatos0605/890383683_E6c55-XL.jpg[/img]

Taxi, Stupice and few more Bursztyns didn't exactly make it into the group above (or into the house for that matter - eaten in the garden =) )

Happy growing to all!

Regards,
D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Duh_Vinci, I can never get enough of your gorgeous photos! You are without a doubt the best produce photographer I have ever seen. Have you ever considered submitting some of your shots to one of the garden catalogs or garden magazines? You are an artiste, honest.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

mtmickey wrote:Stella, you've got a deal. I'm in the Northwestern Montana and so excited because last night it quit raining long enough for me to get the tomato and pepper plants in the ground :D It was a hell of a muddy planting session, but sure did good for the soul and things look good today, even in the pouring rain. Tomorrow we have a chance of sun, so maybe I'll get a few more things in the garden. :-()
Mtmickey, I checked out Ronan on the map and decided you definitely qualify for our select July tomato Jubilee. I thought Ronan sounded a little familiar. I grew up in Eastport, Idaho, where my father was the chief agent for the Porthill, Eastport, and Troy, MT, ports of entry. I also lived in Sunburst for my first few years of grade school. Casper, Wyoming, may be a tad balmy, compared to your country :D

I need to caution you that I set my tomatoes out on May 10 this year. They haven't done much but develop some serious nervous tics, but lately I'm seeing growth. Because you appear to be in a mountainous region, though, I'll give you a one-week handicap. Maybe two weeks . . .

mtmickey

I need to caution you that I set my tomatoes out on May 10 this year. They haven't done much but develop some serious nervous tics, but lately I'm seeing growth. Because you appear to be in a mountainous region, though, I'll give you a one-week handicap. Maybe two weeks . . .
I'll take that handicap. Today is actually beautiful and sunny (so far)...gonna get some more plants in the ground. So far the tomatoes are looking good, not wilting or anything. Yeehaw!!!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Stella,

You are too kind :oops: Photography is just a hobby for me, unfortunately don't have as much time to devote to it, but still enjoy it.
stella1751 wrote:... They haven't done much but develop some serious nervous tics, but lately I'm seeing growth...

LOL they'd do it to you alright!

First tomato that was actually was "slicing" worthy, Noire de Crimee (whole in the picture above):

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010noiredecrimee0605/890398132_hdBer-XL.jpg[/img]

More ripening on that vine, very early 42-43 days from transplant. Tasty - yes, but still prefer Cherokee Purple and Black from Tula from "black" varieties. Though I have 6-7 other variety of "blacks" growing that I've not tried before, who knows, may find another favorite?

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dang looking good there D_V, not just the photos we know you are so great with.

Your making my mouth water for some fresh mators. Like you said I'm sure I will have a bunch ready I get back on Wed. There was quite a bit getting ready before I left.

That photo makes me want to go home now, well that and that fact that is hot a hades here in Orlando. :lol:

kimbledawn

I am so furious :lol: That is a beautiful mater d_v. The squirrels took my second tomato too :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I refuse to buy a tomato and the little rats are stealing mine. I am going out of my mind, checking the garden, looking for maters!!!!

Dh said that maybe we'll have to let them ripen indoors :shock: What!!! Thats not vine ripened!! Guys what am I going to do! :(

applestar
Mod

Oh! How infuriating! :evil: I think you need to rig a cage around just the tomato fruit, or the tomato plant, or the garden bed. :idea:

DV - lovely tomatoes. What kind of surface where they sitting on to get those soft shadows?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

kimbledawn - completely understand your frustration! Our previous house was in a large subdivision with tons of old oak trees = squirrels like you've never seen before (number wise). Couldn't keep any fruits, so I eventually gave up trying for years. I have NO oak trees on my property now, and I have no squirrels! As apple said - maybe a some chicken wire around the cage?

As for removing tomatoes from the vine little earlier, I was talking to a nice old man while back at the farmers market. We got to talk about how much we both enjoy the taste of Brandywine Sudduth's, but how prone it is to cracking under the rain. What he does, if a rains are coming, any fruits that are showing colors - he removes, into the dark pantry, upside-down (laying on their shoulder), and in in his opinion - no degradation in taste. Try it?

Apple - one of those square plates, light is coming from the deck doors and the skylight.

BTW, two more Noire de Crimee to day, and the taste (intensity of flavor) is definitely up, very noticeably! Fresh bread, baby mozzarella cheese, fresh basil = yummmmm!

Happy growing all!

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lots of you are way ahead of me, obviously. But here's my entry in the June tomato race, still on track to eat a ripe tomato before the month is out.
(Sorry for the blurriness, my camera just doesn't do the nice close ups some of you can):

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/4024%20Paddock%20garden/june-tomatoes.jpg[/img]

I can't even call it blushed, but they are paler green!
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”