Neighborhood Gardening

Using Seaweed in your compost pile

Does anyone have any experience using seaweed in their compost pile? I live near the ocean have access an endless supply of seaweed. This year I filled (3) 5 gal buckets with kelp, chopped it, removed the shells and added it to multiple layers of my compost pile.

Has anyone noticed a difference in any aspect of your compost after using kelp/seaweed?

I'm looking for ways to decrease my kelp meal consumption.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm surprised you haven't drawn responses. I'm 1000 miles from the nearest ocean, so can't help. It sounds like you will in a few months have good experience. Please do share it with the rest of us how this works for you.

It sounds like it would have to be a good thing... kelp meal is used because it is very rich in trace minerals as well as organics.

rot
Greener Thumb

I've only heard of people using seaweed in their compost. Apparently a couple of people used it quite a bit and were quite happy with it.

I've heard of people using freshwater and salt water aquatic grasses too.

The list below, down near the very bottom, shows seaweed has the nitrogen content comparable to grass clippings. It's from the Cornell University website on composting so that is some indication that seaweed is cool.

https://compost.css.cornell.edu/OnFarmHandbook/apa.taba1.html

I've only wondered about the the salt that might come with seaweed. I've heard somewhere that the compost process is supposed to ameliorate salts so I suspect it's a non-issue.

I'm about 15 miles from the beach but I don't see myself driving out there to gather seaweed. I'm more interested in using what I can to divert from the waste stream and can get my hands on freely and easily without taking away from otherwise natural settings. I typically won't go out of my way anymore to gather compostables. If I ever get more free time I'll look into manures people want to give away as long as I don't have to drive too far. After getting kicked out of the supermarket dumpster, I'm not going back there.

too sense

top_dollar_bread

ive read about other gardeners collecting seaweed and kelp and using in ther compost or plants w/ great results.
the salt is the only problem and its best you rinse both very well especially if your going to use them mixed w/ garden soil or top dressing.
I believe you want to give them a good thorough rinse, then let them dry in the sun. I'm sure you can crush both into a powder like substance and use just like kelp or seaweed meal.
again rinse the heck out them if planning on using on garden or potting soil and these can be used as greens in your compost pile to really help speed up decomposition and add some very beneficial nutrients!
best of luck & happy turkey day
:wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Neighborhood Gardening wrote:Does anyone have any experience using seaweed in their compost pile? ...
I'm looking for ways to decrease my kelp meal consumption.
This combination of statements thoroughly confused me. It may have confused a lot of other people, too, to the point of non-response.

More info, please?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

sounds like talking about replacing commercial kelp-meal with the fresher stuff to me.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I use ground kelp as a food seasoning. It goes nowhere near my compost. That is why I was confused.
rainbowgardener wrote:I'm surprised you haven't drawn responses.
Cynthia

Neighborhood Gardening

To clarify, I was interested in looking for ways to create more of a closed loop system in which I could use the available resources around me rather than purchasing kelp meal. When I was at the garden store I asked about kelp meal and the manager told me that many people are using kelp meal on their garden beds with good results.

I didn't want to lay the kelp on my beds, but rather let it decompose in the compost. I guess I'll know in the spring.

Return to “Composting Forum”