COB31
Newly Registered

Pumpkin Issues!

Ok. I have 4 pumpkin plants that are taking over the back yard. The plants them selves are doing good. I have three or four good big pumpkins per plant. But the little ones that are popping up now are getting moldy and turning mushy white before their the size of my fist.

Anyone know whats going on with my pumpkins? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Not pollinated

pharmerphil

COB31 wrote:Ok. I have 4 pumpkin plants that are taking over the back yard. The plants them selves are doing good. I have three or four good big pumpkins per plant. But the little ones that are popping up now are getting moldy and turning mushy white before their the size of my fist.

Anyone know whats going on with my pumpkins? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
they are not getting pollinated sufficiently...depends on how much season you have left in Colorado,
you could hand pollinate, but to be honest, this late in the season you'd be best to terminate the vines where the pumpkins are mis-firing, and let the plants energy go into ripening the big ones.

we have some large ones, we have a dozen or so that are doing ok, but they are about the size of softballs, and there isn't enough time left here (Minnesota) for them to do anything but suck energy from the big ones and prolong their maturity...hope this helps :D

NaeMo

pharmerphil wrote: this late in the season you'd be best to terminate the vines where the pumpkins are mis-firing, and let the plants energy go into ripening the big ones.

we have some large ones, we have a dozen or so that are doing ok, but they are about the size of softballs, and there isn't enough time left here (Minnesota) for them to do anything but suck energy from the big ones and prolong their maturity...hope this helps :D
Terminate the vines? I'm in MO, so we still have a bit of growing to do, but this perked my ears.

How far past a decent fruit should I pinch off the vine (okay, it will likely take a machete :lol: )? I have some sugar pie pumpkins, I have around 5 *that I can see* from 2 hills. I am fighting powdery mildew, though. My spaghetti squash is going nuts producing, but I'd like to clip these as well, so they just grow & ripen a little sooner.

Or maybe I shouldn't do this at all with p.m. infecting some of them.

COB31
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info! I clipped a few of the vines and only clipped a few feet past the good sized pumpkins. I'll see if this will work. I'm sure that alot of the effort of the plants is going else where, being the size of the pumpkins that I have. Thanks.

pharmerphil

it's best to clip the ends of the vines, thus terminating the vines growth.
then remove the small pumpkins that have no time to mature.

cutting the vines back to a few feet past the pumpkins won't hurt a thing, provided there is still enough vines/foliage left for photosynthesis

whenever you have a JUNGLE of vines, be it pumpkin or squash, pruning is a good thing

The main vines have secondaries coming off of it, these can be trimmed to allow more air flow, and to get you into the patch for care...

the tertiary vines are vines that branch OFF OF the secondaries, and do more harm than good actually.

A note on your Powdery Mildew, if it's not to far advanced, go with a milk spray...
Milk CAN BE sprayed Up To full strength, but it takes a good sprayer not to glog..
best to go 50:50 :wink:

NaeMo

Thank you for the reply! I will be doing this if it doesn't rain hard today. :)

pharmerphil

NaeMo, where you from in North Missouri?
I moved to Minnesota in 96, from North eastern Missouri, in the boonies north of Kirksville

NaeMo

pharmerphil wrote:NaeMo, where you from in North Missouri?
I moved to Minnesota in 96, from North eastern Missouri, in the boonies north of Kirksville
How funny! We live just south of Kirksville, and we moved here in '96. And it *did* rain today. Ah well.

pharmerphil

NaeMo wrote:
pharmerphil wrote:NaeMo, where you from in North Missouri?
How funny! We live just south of Kirksville, and we moved here in '96. And it *did* rain today. Ah well.
that is funny...any chance ya wanna swap places??
It's either getting colder in the winter, or I'm getting Older...
can't take much more of this weather Naemo...47° this morning

NaeMo

You won't get any relief here THIS week. Upper 40s here as well. My feet feel like icicles. 70ish for a high. Forecast is calling for 70s for the week. I hope that's warm enough for my tomatoes to ripen. :roll:

pharmerphil

well not to turn this into a weather thread, but it's 42° right now...

rootsy
Green Thumb

Had 43.4 when I left the house this morning about 7:15. 200 miles NW of here it was 30F...

NOT good for the soybeans and field corn if it freezes now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”