gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Starting Vegetable Seeds?

I have about 45 starters going in peat pots. Should I have these inside and do they need light when in pre-germination stage. I just did these over the weekend so it will be a week or more before there is any chance of seeing green.

By inside I mean I have them in my garage, where it is warm-hot with little to no light.

Thanks Dono

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

what kind of stuff? some things need light to germinate, but some definitely don't.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

!potatoes! wrote:what kind of stuff? some things need light to germinate, but some definitely don't.
Well let's see: Onions, arugula, icebergh, broccoli, cauliflower, brussles sprouts, spinach, celery, carrots and mustard. I think that is it, I might be missing something.

Thanks Dono

One more thing if you will. What about putting them in something with an inch or so of water in the bottom and have them water this way. I have heard this is a method to use never have done it myself.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

The only problem I have with starting seeds is that I have such a busy scedual, that when I start them and I am keeping them moist I will forget or not be around to water them a day or so and the hypercottle will be comeing out but it will be dried out. I hate it when that happeds, also, are you getting ready for your fall garden or something?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Rambo 09 wrote:The only problem I have with starting seeds is that I have such a busy scedual, that when I start them and I am keeping them moist I will forget or not be around to water them a day or so and the hypercottle will be comeing out but it will be dried out. I hate it when that happeds, also, are you getting ready for your fall garden or something?
I will try to keep them watered as usual but like you said if you forget during a crucial time that's it. And yes I'm planting a bunch of stuff, already have actually. The starters are backups and whatnot. I'll find somewhere to put them trust me. I just had a thread about this whole thing here https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17772

Dono

applestar
Mod

One more thing if you will. What about putting them in something with an inch or so of water in the bottom and have them water this way. I have heard this is a method to use never have done it myself.
Yes, it works very well to Bottom-water seedlings. BUT the technique is to put the pots in water, let them soak up as much as they will (about 20 min or so), THEN REMOVE THEM FROM WATER.

Letting seedling pots sit for too long in water is a sure-fire way to kill them with damping off fungus and root rot.

If you keep them in the dark garage, you'll need to check them twice a day. The moment they emerge from the soil, they have to be put in strong light. Also, don't know about your garage, but mine gets too hot for the cool weather crops. I started some of them inside in the air conditioned house with CFL in clamp-on big reflector utility lamps I got at the automotive section of Walmart. Others I've started outside (since it's been getting down to mid~upper 60's at night. Downside -- they're subject to bug/slug damage....)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I start seeds I like to do it as natural an as close to nature as possible. I plant in plant trays that I save from plants that I bought. I like composted cow manure in bags for potting soil. I put seeds in each tray and I put all the trays in a pan of water so it holds 1/2" water like a small pond. I don't want them to dry out. I place them in the yard in direct sun. I try to copy nature as much as possible if a seed were to fall to the ground and come up on its own it would more than likely get sun light. But this time of the year it is extremely rare for me to plant in trays, I plant directly in the garden. Yesterday I planted lettuce, beets, peas, kale, chard, broccli, turnip greens, in 20 ft rows. It rained last night and is suppose to rain 3 more days so they should do fine. The hardest thing to sprout are seeds that are so small they look like dust. Sprinkle a few of those micro size seeds in the surface of the soil then sprinkle some sand over them. Those micro size plants never seem to have trouble growing up through the sand.

If you plant in the house you need a fan, lights, water from the bottom, spray the leaves with water.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with Gary. I have a very nice set up for starting seeds in my basement (somewhere buried in the history of this forum are a few pictures of it) with shelves and lights. Every spring I start literally hundreds of little plants from seed. But I do that because at the time I'm starting all the stuff for the spring garden there's snow on the ground outside. To start my fall garden (NOW!) I just put seeds in the ground.

applestar
Mod

Rainbowgardener -- I'm pushing the envelope as usual :wink: I have some seedlings started outside, in pots, because the only places I have to plant them have plants in full-production growing there still. :lol: I'm eye'ing one volunteer tomato plant which produces 1" round fruits -- flavor is not too bad but not outstanding, skin is too thick for my liking... moreover, they crack at every little excuse, forcing me to pick them early. I have the feeling this plant is going to be gone in the next few days -- 24" square area in my garden is NOT to be wasted on mediocre plants right now. :twisted:

I'll tell you a funny story -- I was working out in the hot and sticky the other day, but had to wear my jeans to keep out the mosquitoes -- my legs simply CANNOT support any more mosquito bites. So when I came inside, I washed them right away. Well, when I went to take them out of the washing machine, I found corn seeds all over the washtub -- I'd forgotten to take them out of my pocket! Thoroughly soaked in water (I only use eco-friendly plant-based laundry products), only thing to do was to plant them in a big 10" pot. I have it sitting out on the veg garden path. Now I have about 5 days to figure out where I could possibly plant them when they come up. :roll:

Rambo 09
Cool Member

:arrow: :!: well, if it were to happen, doing that is better that just throwing the seeds away, I have always had trouble starting corn. :!:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Okay here goes:

Applestar as far as checking them twice a day, I planted these on Sun I went out this morning (wed) and have all kinds of growth, Mustard, Aurgula, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Iceberg and Spinach. I was shocked to find this. I did turn on some lights to big 4 light flourescents, and turned on a fan. It was hot when in there when I got home. I will bring them in tonight If I can find somewhere to put them.

Gary350 I already planted outside as well. I have these for backups and succesion platning as well as a few I didn't have in potted form. But I'm like you as well I like to bring them outside and give them sun as opposed to fake light. Trust me I have things panted everywhere I will plant things I know won't grow well just to see what happens or if somehow I can keep them alive.

RanibowG I will try to find your post of your planting arrangement. I have even been kicking around the idea of getting some Hydro lighting or something of that nature for starting plants.

Thanks for the replies

Dono

Oh and Applestar I'm cutting edge, or maybe just stupid crazy sometimes myself with planting but the washing machine I havne't tried that yet. Maybe you could just leave the seed in the w-machine and fill it with dirt. You could even use the agitate cycle to mix the compost, just a thought.
:wink:

Rambo 09
Cool Member

I would chuckle if I walked around a corner to see someone was mixing there compost with some special kind of washing machine. think of the humor. :!:

Diane
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Rainbowgardener -- I'm pushing the envelope as usual :wink: I have some seedlings started outside, in pots, because the only places I have to plant them have plants in full-production

I'll tell you a funny story -- I was working out in the hot and sticky the other day, but had to wear my jeans to keep out the mosquitoes -- my legs simply CANNOT support any more mosquito bites. So when I came inside, I washed them right away. Well, when I went to take them out of the washing machine, I found corn seeds all over the washtub -- I'd forgotten to take them out of my pocket! Thoroughly soaked in water (I only use eco-friendly plant-based laundry products), only thing to do was to plant them in a big 10" pot. I have it sitting out on the veg garden path. Now I have about 5 days to figure out where I could possibly plant them when they come up. :roll:
That is funny. I've done the same as far as finding a place to plant things and I've gone overboard this year. My dog, or me for that matter, can hide just about anywhere in my yard. He runs through the raspberries, roses and blueberries keeping birds away. My kids can't find me when I'm pruning or picking things.
I found large pots on sale and I've used most of them. It's single file for walking in many parts of my yard. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”