foreverdana555
Newly Registered

Please Help: my Chinese Elm bonsai is shedding yellow leaves

I always wanted a Bonsai tree. So when I was in Chinatown in Chicago about 3-4 weeks ago, I decided to get one. I came across this bonsai shop and I fell in love with the Chinese Elm. The bonsai tree was sitting in a pool of water amongst other bonsai trees alike within the store. It was also kept indoors.

When I was at the store, I did not really understand the store owner, because she spoke very broken english. All I could make out was to water it... and that didn't help much. But I thought to myself, I can just research when I get home and so I did for around 2 hours.

Within these past 3 days the leaves of my Chinese elm tree are turning yellow. There are not apparent black spots, but the leaves just turn yellow and fall of the branches. I still have more than half of the present leaves still a normal green color, but a lot are turning this bright yellow and it concerns me.

I have this gut feeling that I might be over watering it. Everyday, I usually water it about 3/4's of a cup. The tree itself is about 5 1/2 inches and the pot is 2 inches deep if any of that information helps.

It has been very cloudy and raining for the past 2 weeks in Illinois so I do not think it has been getting much needed sunlight, but I have been keeping it underneath artificial lighting for a substitute.

Also, the moss on top of the soil is so pretty, but about 2 weeks ago it started to whither away. As a result I think I was watering it to much, so I can keep the moss alive, but as I researched some more, moss and a bonsai tree have totally different needs for water, temperature, humidity, light, etc.

So my questions are:
Why are the leaves of my Chinese Elm tree turning yellow?
Should I be very concerend or am I overeacting?
What can I do to stop the leaves turning yellow?
Is the tree just adapting to its new home?
Do you think I am watering it too much and drowning the poor tree?
And also, why is the moss dieing?

I would appreciate anyone who has some answers for me. I really want to keep my bonsai tree alive and happy!

Thanks so much.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

First, replant the bonsai in a pot with drainage holes if it isn't in one already. Second, replace the soil with bonsai soil if it isn't already in bonsai soil. Water only when the top of the soil dries out, and make sure it is not allowed to sit in a dish of water. This should solve the problem. Also, the amount of water doesn't matter; you should water until exess comes out the drainage holes.

snowblind
Cool Member

and one of the most important thing for elms is if you can get them outside do that will live indoors with a lot of attation (watering a lot more turing to light ect) but thay love the out doors more. allso yellowing of the leaves and black spots on the to me sounds like a lack of water not to little. try dunking it a bowl of water or your bath for 15mins ot untill all the air bubbles stop comeing up from it. repoting is allso probly a good idear. could you try and post sum pics on here so we can get a better look and then we can help more from there. go have a lookaround the site and see other ppls elms aswell that will give you a nice idear of healthy anf happy tress (go look at mine shes lovely) o yeah one thing about the moss I myself have moss on all my trees and it tends to follow for me atleast that if my moss is lush and lively my tress r happy. anyway hun good luck and look around :D

UglyGeezer

I have a Chinese Elm at the moment and had one stolen last year. With them both, they lost some leaves as you describe. They soon adjusted to their new environment.

The one I have now grows so fast, I'm clipping leaves off weekly.

I hope and am sure yours will settle down soon. :P

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”