rmazz
Newly Registered

corn splitting into multiple stalks?

what would cause this to happen? I have never seen this before. Will the plant still produce corn?

tiny1

As I understand it, Many, many moons ago, Corn was actually a bush. My corn is doing the same thing. I have about 100 stalks and about a quarter of them are "branching" at the soil level. On another forum, an experienced gardener that I trust told me that it will actually stabilize the stalk and help it resist the wind. He said it will no way affect the production negatively. I hope this helps.

rmazz
Newly Registered

What your saying about supprt from the wind makes sence because it had been really windy just after we planted the corn and it broke the top leaves off. well I'm glad I found this forum. thanks for the info.
robyn

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It is a very common thing for corn to send up two suckers from the ground. Nothing to worry about. Just let them grow. This tells me you have fertile soil. Corn that is planted too closely or on poor soil won't do this.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Just the predisposition of some hybrids... They'll put out one or two tillers... No biggie.

louisa
Newly Registered

we have multiple stalks on our corn. will the multiple stalks produce?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, I've never heard of that before. Glad I found out it's good or I may have plucked one off if the future. :oops:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/news/articles.03/Tillers-0623.html]More Info[/url]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/corn_suckers.JPG[/img]

Here is a picture.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”