I have to re-establish a lawn that is in a shady spot. The ground is fairly moist due to a near by stream and pond- it is about ten meters from the stream and probably 50 or so from the pond and up away from it, but the garden is often a little damp and mossy this time of year.
They have had turf put there last year, but it didnt go well, and has mostly died where the shade is thickest.
I was going to treat the Grass in this order-
1. Spray the grass to kill any weeds
2. Scarify, with either a scarifier or a rake
3. Areate the ground with a hollow tine areator
4. Apply a mix of sharp sand and loamy soil to the lawn
5. Sow shade tolerating grass seed
Is this correct? Im assuming I should try to feed what little grass is there if I sow seed?