* Login CLICK HERE TO REGISTER       

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:33 pm 

I have always planted green cabbage and have never bought red cabbage at the store. This year we are planting both. Is there a difference in taste between the two?
Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 pm 
Super Green Thumb

I've never done a side by side comparison, but I don't notice any major difference. And most red vegetables do have an extra dose of antioxidants. Perhaps our family should start buying some red as well. We mostly get red in slaw mixes and when eating out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:32 pm 
Mod

I think red cabbage has a touch more "green" flavor so you might say green/white cabbage is milder or more bland. Of course there are white ones that have quite a kick/bite as well as those that are surprisingly sweet. I haven't grown them myself (starting seedlings of cabbage called Caraflex this year though :wink:) so these are supermarket cabbage, though I usually buy organic.

One obvious difference that I didn't appreciate was that red cabbage stains -- the cutting board, your fingers, your salad, AND your cooked food! I made the mistake of using red cabbage when I didn't have green for a skillet dish and the whole thing turned GREY in the iron skillet :roll: (I think there was something acidic in it like tomatoes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 pm 
Super Green Thumb

You can boil and extract the color from red cabbage and then use it as an acid/base indicator. The color is red in acid, and moves from blue to green to yellow green as the solution becomes more alkaline. Red cabbage is often used in an acid base indicator lab in science classes.

[ 4 posts ]