SuperNuku
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai in Winter - But I live in an Apartment

Well, I've had my Juniper since May, and it's been doing very well. (It's a Juniper) I live in Illinois, though, so winter is quickly approaching. A dorment state seems like it will be necessary. I believe that it should stay outside, but there's a problem: My dad and I live in an apartment... It has a nice windowsill that gets indirect sunlight, and it's been doing well there, with me taking it outside every few days, but in the winter I don't know what to do.

The window will get pretty cold, but not cold enough.. and there's nowhere outside we can keep it for fear of theft. I'm not sure what to do with it. Will the window be okay? Or should I take it outside alot?

This is quite the dilemma... So I am seeking advice from the experienced. ^_^

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Actually I was quite surprised to read that your tree is doing well in the window that you have it in. Generally speaking, window sills are not good places for bonsai.

Do you not have a deck that you can put your tree on?

It would be best to have the tree outside all year long as much as possible rather than moving it outside periodically. Though, if you are in an apartment with no deck.... you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Maybe your dad can build a flower box to hang outside your window that your tree can sit in. (Cover the pot with soil).

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The window box thing holds promise...(Nice call, Opa)

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”