bneal817
Newly Registered

organizing a community garden

so I am trying to organize a project at my church to start an organic garden on the church lot, so that the children (and adults, too) can learn about gardening and nature and have some healthy food and pretty flowers. I want to focus on vegetables, in the hopes that we can sell some of them at the farmer's market next year to help meet expenses.

so my question: have any of you ever organized a community project of this nature? do you have any advice?

already I am having trouble getting people interested and involved, and with working around different people's schedules who are interested. so any experiences, stories, or suggestions you could share would be great. thanks so much!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Rather than re-inventing the wheel, why don't you take a look at what the American Community Gardening Association recommends for new community gardens? You already have one strong interest in common for your gardeners: membership in the same church. Although not a guarantor of success, it does give a common base from which to start.

For more info, see www.communitygardening.org ! I was very interested in starting a community garden here in my town a year and a half ago, when I pretty much had no work and no prospects of work. However, to get anything done, one needs to be a member of a City committee. So I applied to be a member of three different committees, all volunteer.

Many are called, but few are chosen. :? No community gardening was on the agenda of any of the chosen ones. Oh, well...I'm on a waiting list elsewhere with my girlfriend, who is eligible for her town but who needs help even in a small community garden plot. We've been on the list for a year and a half (hmmm, must be a coincidence...) and no word.

Good luck!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”