nes
Green Thumb

Yellow Bell-Shaped Flowers (Plant ID)

I need an ID on these guys, they are all over my garden! :)

[img]https://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/DSC00633.jpg[/img]

And don't tell me they are nightshade!!! :lol:

You can see they have pointed leaves, with rough edges, and little yellow bell-shaped flowers.

applestar
Mod

Most probably Groundcherry/Husk-tomato (Physalis spp.). Related to tomatillo (*could* be tomatillo). Forms little green pointed lanterns that turn yellow or orange. Tomato-like berries inside that are sometimes sweet and tasty. :wink:

Nes - from all indications, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants, as well as potatoes, will do VERY WELL in your garden. :cool: :P

I think, too, that you need to create a Solanacea-free area. Get rid of all those weeds, then grow things OTHER than the above in the designated area for a couple of years. Maybe grow Calendulas and Marigolds as well as veg's.

p.s. Do you have Horsenettle too? :lol:
p.p.s. In Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little Town on the Prairie Ma made preserves of Groundcherries.
https://books.google.com/books?id=g5LAIzwyywYC&lpg=PA138&ots=-hpT3LAa7r&dq=little%20town%20on%20the%20prairie%20ground%20cherries&pg=PA138

nes
Green Thumb

They aren't in the veggie garden, they are in my neglected flower beds at the front of the house :shock:. There is one out back in 80% day sun, and these are out front were they get maybe an hour at the very end of the day (face NE and lots of trees around them).

That is so funny because I didn't plant these & have NO idea where they came from! They definitely look like the strawberry ground cherry though.

Yes, I'm starting to think I need to abandon my "let grow what may" policy and actually do some gardening!! :D

*sigh* It wouldn't surprise me if we did! Why are all the pretty ones poisonous?

Actually right now I have some beautiful straw-flowers blooming in the garden :D and we're just waiting another couple weeks for the sunflowers to finish (I LOVE sunflowers :)).

Tx. again apps!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”