weasel
Newly Registered

Gardenia bonsai - yellowing leaves

We recently were given a miniature gardenia bonsai. I've been good (I think) with the watering, keeping the growing medium wet and the pebbles on the tray beneath it. Had it about 2 weeks and, although it arrived in perfect condition, some of the leaves are starting to yellow. Does it need more light (is in a west facing window in wintery New Jersey)? Am I over or under-watering it? Does it need food?
Thanks for your help!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If this is a supermarket (or similar) bonsai, I have seen them coming in like this, perfectly healthy and yellow the next week. I looked at some and (besides being dry) I didn't see anything "wrong".

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

From what I've heard, gardenias like to have the soil go almost dry before they are watered again; they don't like there soil to be constantly moist. Also, if the drainage dish its sitting in is full of water past the drainage holes on the pot (it has 'wet feet'), than that may also contribute to the leafs yellowing.

weasel
Newly Registered

Thanks for the helpful hints. I moved my bonsai to a south-facing window to get more sun. At best it will get only a few hours of morning light. I will try letting the soil get slightly dry (this is tricky, I know) and be sure to keep the feet of the pot dry. I plucked off all the yellow leaves and will wait and see if more appear.
This is my first bonsai, just received, and I want it to be a success and not a failure!

weasel
Newly Registered

Is there any reason why I cannot treat this gardenia bonsai like any other indoor gardenia plant? After reading about gardenias indoors and having had (unsuccessful) experience with them, I think lots of sun is important. That's hard to do in New Jersey in February, so I'll be moving it around the house in search of the warm rays.
Not over-watering also seems important. So far I think I'm okay on that front. Non of the buds have fallen....yet.
Any more tips I'll gratefully appreciate!
This was a gift to my husband who recently underwent major surgery. Needless to say, there is no way he'll take care of it. That has become my job and my joy.
Thanks for any more help that comes my way.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The only essential difference is in the pot and soil, meaning that a Gardenia bonsai will probably require more frequent watering and fertilizing than a Gardenia grown as a house plant.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”