Toxic1979

Potato too far along to plant?

These are images of my potatos from last fall. They have not been washed, and have been kept at about 5 celsius for MOST of the year. Over the past month, the temperature in their storage area increased to approx 25 celsius. They were covered in a grow bag with newspaper.

I won't be able to plant until about June, first week.

Are these too far along to even attempt to use?

They are Russian Blues, and Nicola. The Nicola look as though they are sprouting the stalks. See pictures.
Attachments
IMG_5177.JPG
IMG_5176.JPG
IMG_5172.JPG
IMG_5168.JPG

applestar
Mod

That purple-stemmed one looks NICE! That's the Russian Blue? 8)

I guess you didn't see my post about these :>
I planted them in the first week or so of April, which was a week later than my usual time to plant potatoes about a month before last average frost. Details are here:
Subject: Applestar's 2016 Garden

They have been sprouting out of the ground and looking pretty healthy. You'll find updates and current photos later in the thread.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Are they otherwise going to be trashed? I say plant them thangs!!! You'll prolly get some really cute baby potatoes. Just bury them transverse.

Toxic1979

HA....! I was thinking these are completely our of control! Nice to know its not too late!

I was thinking they would be garbage... I'll plant them, and give them a try.

And yes, the purple is the Russian Blue. They didn't get too large either, 1.5 x larger than an egg. I planted ~2 lbs of them last year, and got about 22 lbs harvest off them. Excellent for roasting!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Yes. Last year my seed potatoes looked very similar to those, long sprouts and actually more wrinkly than yours, and I thought, I'm not waiting any longer; I'm gonna plant. Worked out well, hit by heavy frost twice, but came back both times and I got a good harvest. Same thing has happened this year.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Here in SC everybody plants their potatoes as soon as the ground can be worked. Like February or March. Frosts are likely, but everyone does it anyway, potatoes, peas, and onions are usually what everyone is talking about early season.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Go ahead and plant those! Make a lil trench and kinda lay it in there with the top leaves out.

Seed potatoes are usually cut with one or two eyes per piece and then planted. They do not need sprouts on them at planting, the sprouts will come after planting.

Toxic1979

Just a quick update on these potatoes that I asked about earlier this year.....

They are planted and doing fantastic. I placed 5 in each grow bag, and covered them with about 4-6 inches on material. The soil I put into the grow bags was literally just dug up out of my garden and thrown in to the bags. No amendments at all, and theres even small chunks of grass sods buried in there. I planted them about 5 weeks ago. Staring to see flowers (not opened yet). I didn't cut them at all.

This pic is about 1 weeks old. Needles to say, everyone was right about them! Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_5439.jpg

Toxic1979

Update today... you can see the difference, especially in the smaller grow bags.
Attachments
IMG_5546.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”