applestar
Mod

Re: Container Fig Tree Care? -- Spring, Summer, Fall, and Wi

Three more are starting to ripen :D
image.jpg
There's one left in the kitchen that was harvested two days ago when the fruits sagged, had a slight give, and easily pulled off. I wrap the harvested figs in paper towel and let them ripen completely for another day or two. At that point, they turn nearly black and are delicious.

applestar
Mod

My fig tree is inside and going dormant. The leaves are shriveling and falling, and I have been chopping them up into small pieces to mulch the surface of the container mix.... And I started to notice this WONDERFUL AROMA as I crumpled up and chopped up the leaves.

So, it's too late now with this tree and I'll have to wait until next season, but I looked it up and found this 8)
Fig leaves are harvested from mature fig trees. The leaves are a bright, vibrant green with thick veins and a prominent stem. Each leaf has five main veins and leaflets, much like fingers on a hand, and each leaflet is wider in the center and tapers to a point. Fig leaves are most commonly used to wrap and grill or steam seafood. The leaves give the cooked meat a smoky, fruity flavor, and distinct coconut aroma.

Applications

Use fresh, clean fig leaves to wrap seafood, meat, fruits and cheeses. Secure the parcel with string or twine and grill, bake, roast, smoke or braise. The fig leaves will keep the items moist, cooked by the steam created in the parcel. Fig leaves should be used immediately; keep refrigerated and dry to store. Rinse but do not dry before wrapping, the moisture on the leaves will help to cook your parcel.
https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce ... s_7136.php

:idea: I might try making something if the Chicago Hardy fig tree outside but planted against the SW side of the house still has leaves.... Has anyone else tried making fig-leaf wrapped something? I was originally thinking of making Chinese steamed dumpling with sweet filling because the aroma reminded me of something like the lotus leaf wrapped sweet sticky rice. 8)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

My Chicago Hardy was in a pot but growth slowed after a few months so I put it in the ground. It took off again. I tried pulling it to see how deep the roots dug in and it was solid. Just trimmed it back and put some cuttings in wet paper towel in a ziplock to see if they will root.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your figs are beautiful, applestar. Now I really "need" a fig tree! :)

applestar
Mod

A peek under the covers at the sleeping fig accompanied by the larger Rosemary and Pineapple Sage in the garage in front of the V8 Nursery :D
image.jpg
...The stick like trunk with dried up dead leaves to the left is an avocado -- subject of extreme dormant state overwintering experiment :twisted:

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I am trying to root some of my Chicago fig stems. One rooted in moist paper towel inside a ziplock not fully closed but they got a little moldy. I am trying them in the DE kitty litter now.

How does the Chicago taste? I had fruits started but never matured. My solution was to get them out of a confined pot and propagate more for the dirt.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have some leafs on one stem and buds developing on the others. These were placed in DE on the water heater with a ziplock over them to keep humidity in.

applestar
Mod

Looking good! You'll have more to plant by the time the ground thaws :D

My
Chicago Hardy is spending it's first winter outside. Haven't tasted it yet, but hopefully, this summer. :-() I'm planning to propagate from that tree if It grows extra branches I can cut off.

Here's my baby Petit Negri/a. I didn't want to let it go dormant this winter, so it's sitting in the coolest spot possible -- it can get as low as upper 40's in this corner on the floor level, though there IS a covered vent nearby.
image.jpg

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I read somewhere to cut the Chico low to the ground and cover with mulch for winter because the stems will freeze and die off anyway. I hated to waste the stems so I tried to root them. Did you not cut yours back?

applestar
Mod

Mine is planted about a foot in front of the SW facing house wall which is in an L with the garage wall to the NW. Mom hoping this location has a more protective micro-climate. I did mulch well around the base of the little tree (it's about 28-32" tall). With my Zone 6b location going for it, hopefully this is all I need to do.

I'm going to prune it into an espalier (flat plane) in front of the wall.

applestar
Mod

My container Petit Negri fig has been waking up on the driveway outside the garage, ready to roll inside if frost threatened... But it had been warm and nice so I asked DD to use the hand truck to move it to the back yard on the patio. ...that was Saturday... She told me she noticed little baby figs on the tree -- and she was correct! :()
image.jpg
-- but now, FREEZE warning has been issued for the next two mornings. :eek:

... I think I'll just wrestle it into the kitchen tonight and tomorrow night ...

applestar
Mod

Here's the little cutting I propagated from the Petit Negri. I was too apprehensive to let it lose its leaves, so I put it in this Cool Gang corner (floor level, farthest from the house thermostat and blocked vent -- as cold as high 40's in the depth of winter). It didn't lose its leaves but hunkered down and didn't do anything all winter. It woke up since March and grew these bigger leaves. :D
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Well, I had been concerned that the outside Chcago Hardy didn't make it. The upper portion of the longest branch felt dead, but not the ENTIRE branch, so I have been waiting with my fingers crossed.

I watered heavily last week thinking we haven't been getting enough rain...aaaand....

Tah-DAH !!!
image.jpg
:-()

-- you can see the new growth from the base, and there are several green buds developing up both branches. So you were correct that the upper portion did die, @rairdog. I think I will also take cuttings from the tips to try to root this year.

applestar
Mod

image.jpg
I need to uppot the "baby" :-()
image.jpg
image.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 16247 times

applestar
Mod

Chicago Hardy doesn't really belong in this thread since its planted in the ground outside, but since I mentioned it a couple of times here... :>

...it's starting to form flower buds (baby figs) :D
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

image.jpg
...just harvested first two ripe figs :-()

Francesco Delvillani

Very good job and now it's time to eat !! The fruits seem very big :)

applestar
Mod

The fruits are not that big, but sweet, rich and tasty... and satisfying to have come from my own little tree on the patio :()

Harvested 8 more yesterday :wink:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I forgot to post when I put the Petit Negra outside :shock: I hope I made a note of it somewhere... It's been at least a week.

...aaaaand :-()
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.44 KiB) Viewed 15820 times

applestar
Mod

FOUR. Which are very much anticipated but I'm bummed because there was a baker's dozen little figlets when we started out this spring. But I wasn't vigilant enough and we had frost one day when I didn't bring it in. -wall-

But maybe this will help save extra energy for it to bear heavier in the summer/fall.

applestar
Mod

Figs overwintering inside ---

- TOP L&R -- Petit Nigra in the garage starting to bud and grow baby fig buds.
- ML -- White Marseilles bought as tiny tiny rooted cuttings are growing under Garage V8 Nursery lights
- BL -- Petit Nigra cuttings rooted in a bag in the Green Room floor and potted up recently
- BR -- Chicago Hardy cuttings rooted in a bag in the Green Room floor and starting to grow (need to be potted up)

Forgot about this one -- tiny PN cutting recently uppotted in a 1qt DIY SIP on Winter Paradise Penthouse

applestar
Mod

Two rooted cutting White Marseilles figs Bought on sale last spring/summer -- they stayed runty all season but I Uppotted them in the 1 gallon containers for overwintering in the Garage V8 because I knew they would take off around Spring Equinox. They were pushing at the max height lights so I brought them out and repotted them. Lots of perlite in the mix to be super well-draining. (In-ground Chicago Hardy is starting to break bud so hopefully weather is settled enough.)

The Petit Nigra is newly rooted as of this winter, but I still think it should have shown some signs of growth by now. I was testing this closed system SIP because I saw a blog but I wasn't convinced figs would like SIP's even though it would be convenient if I could grow the big two with less worry about watering.

...still not convinced at this point, so I think these will remain in regular pots when I bring them outside... soon, like yesterday. :roll:

applestar
Mod

My 2 biggest Zone 8 Petit Nigra — as well as the newly rooted cuttings were all banished to Garage “Siberia” this past winter — a bit of space closest to the garage doors, with no windows, V8 Nursery lights too far and blocked by boxes and stuff, only a couple of giant (about 4x8) flattened cardboard box panels between them and the doors, and some fleece blankets covering them. Added to that the difficulty in getting to them to water — I originally thought I was going to water from the door-side, not taking into account that I wouldn’t want to open the doors in the depth of the winter — I was really concerned for them when I dragged them outside the doors once the weather started warming up in March.

...but they have started to wake up! Image

applestar
Mod

DDs helped to hand-truck the two big fig trees to the backyard last week. They are grouped with the other container plants.

I need to re-think this one’s shape because it is getting too gangly and is just taking up too much space. Hard pruning may be in its future :twisted:
The pot next to it has Top Hat blueberries planted in it. One plant died over the winter, so I’m using the empty space for three of my youngest coffee seedlings.

This one is harder to see because of all the other plants around it -
- there’s another slightly older coffee sitting at the base of it in the same pot
- avocados and a mango to the right of it

applestar
Mod

Petit Nigra fig babies on both my container trees! :-()

applestar
Mod

I’ve been neglecting this thread.... Spotted this year’s first ripe Petite Negra fig today — later realized 2nd one was also ripe. Much sweeter than Chicago Hardy, but I get more from the in-ground CH and at consistently same time frame.

With these, timing seem to depend on level of care vs. neglect as well as overwintering temperature and through the seasons.....

applestar
Mod

Container figs are starting to wake up
E799AB21-BCA8-4515-A3A6-5AA25623926A.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Ichimonji style fig in containers — I want to try this! :-() I might have one already that could easily be styled this way. If I do, I’ll attempt to train it over the summer and then do the drastic pruning as described. If not, I guess I’ll have to start some cuttings.... :wink:

【イチジク】限られたスペースで栽培するオススメの仕立て方 - YouTube
[Fig] Recommended Fig Styling for a Limited Space

【イチジク】一文字仕立ての作り方を園芸農家が実演します! - YouTube
[Fig] Step-by-Step Demonstration of Ichimonji Styling

【永久保存版】イチジクの剪定を園芸農家が超詳しく実演解説します! - YouTube
[Save] Detailed Demonstration of Fig Pruning (at different ages)

...HOWEVER... I’m having trouble finding the kind of deep rectangular containers he is using. I’m particularly interested in the largest size he has — sturdy looking with handles — he said it was about 20 liters. Closest I’ve seen is a Fiskar’s veranda box.

applestar
Mod

I’ve been looking at my container figs as well as in-ground figs, thinking I’m supposed to be pruning them about now to encourage fruits to mature in time before frost.

I’ve been thinking this for about a week, that I need to review my notes… and came across this fantastic video this morning that explains very nicely.

I’m going to try these steps this year.

He shows a reference book that deals primarily with in-ground fig and that mid-July to early-August is the period for summer pruning (so I was right).

* Roughly, look for two kinds of branches— ones with fruits forming and ones without.

NON-ESSENTIAL
* Thin out/cull fruitless and one or two fruit branches that are crowding the inside of canopy to open up for airflow and sun exposure

*** container figs ***

ESSENTIAL FRUITING
* leave 5 to 10 fruits OR counting from topmost fruits that have developed bottom-up, keep 3, 4 to 5 leaves then cut.
* Subsequently, allow two suckers to grow from top-most leaf nodes for next year’s fruiting branches (let them grow to as much as 50cm long then cut)
* Break off all other lower suckers as soon as they form.

ESSENTIAL NON-FRUITING
* For varieties that have not reached fruiting stage, it *may* still be possible to induce fruiting this season (starting in mid-July)
* Choose two most vigorous branches and break off just the growth point — in about 7 to 10 days, suckers should start to grow from topmost leafnodes and they *may* be accompanied by buds/fruits
* IF successful, the branch will develop more fruits from top-down (unlike normal bottom-up order)
* Continue to break off just the growth point from two most vigorous branches every 7 days
* But any remaining branches should be all taken care of at once in early August.

*** in-ground figs ***
— 13 to 15 fruits per branch (cull for good fruit size and development)
— keep 17 topmost leaves and cut off upper branch growth

Return to “All Other Fruit”