Easy
Newly Registered

Which Kind of Trellis is Best for Growing Grapes?

I would like to plant Grapes and would like to know which is the best trislis to use, the 2 wire trilis or the over head one?

How high should one be?

What would you use to build the over head trils out of?

How wide should it be?

Which is the best time to plant grapes in the Spring or Fall?

Yes I need all the information on this topic.

Can one move a 10 year old grape vine?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Do you want shade or grapes? Vineyards use two wire for growing and overhead to sit under and drink. Pick one...

Most two wire I see are about six foot; probably a good size for harvesting. Obviously head room is the prime consideration for overhead.
As for materials it's your call; metal heats up a bit much, so wood would be my choice. We are blessed with plenty of red cedar and that would be my choice (for price and durability).

I like spring for planting and early spring at that (before leaf break, so you can prune then as well; later and the vine "bleeds", weakening it...).

And yes, you can move a ten year old vine if you are diligent with timing (fall after leaf drop) soil amendment (organics), and watering (copiously until frost).

Easy
Newly Registered

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Do you want shade or grapes? Vineyards use two wire for growing and overhead to sit under and drink. Pick one...

Most two wire I see are about six foot; probably a good size for harvesting. Obviously head room is the prime consideration for overhead.
As for materials it's your call; metal heats up a bit much, so wood would be my choice. We are blessed with plenty of red cedar and that would be my choice (for price and durability).

I like spring for planting and early spring at that (before leaf break, so you can prune then as well; later and the vine "bleeds", weakening it...).

And yes, you can move a ten year old vine if you are diligent with timing (fall after leaf drop) soil amendment (organics), and watering (copiously until frost).
I am sorry that I did not tel you where I live, I live in Northwest Ohio.

I plan to grow Concord Grapes, here is one for you which is a good eating grape and can you put in a vine with the Concord grape?

I love grape pie.

What do you think about the Seedless Concords?

Why I ask about the overhead is I see allot of them. Do they take up much room or would it be best to have the 2 wire type trillis?

Where I plan to put them is have them run Nort and South.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

My mother planted grapes two or three years ago and hasn't had a crop until this year.

Getting a good grape crop is all in the pruning. Prune last years growth (in the winter) to the third bud. Also, prune the vine such that you have branches running laterally every 1 1/2 feet. You can use wire or wood to support the branches.

As usual I will recommend building up a good humus layer with leaf mulch, manure, grass clippings, coffee grounds and what not in the fall.

After doing all of this last year, this year her grape vines are loaded with grapes.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I really like 'Mars' for hardiness, fruit production, and disease resistance...

Yuliya
Newly Registered

I read that grape plant has deep roots, and it needs infrequent deep watering until fruites are formed. After that the watering should be reduced.
I actually did not prune my Thompson seedless at all, never. It is 4 years old, it grows on metal net fence, and it has produced huge 2-nd year crop - I do not know what to do with so many grapes now (give away to dear friends :0).
Maybe I should prune it next year.

Bob

Most grape growers here in south Jersey, put up treated 4â€

Franco

Yuliya wrote:I read that grape plant has deep roots, and it needs infrequent deep watering until fruites are formed. After that the watering should be reduced.
I actually did not prune my Thompson seedless at all, never. It is 4 years old, it grows on metal net fence, and it has produced huge 2-nd year crop - I do not know what to do with so many grapes now (give away to dear friends :0).
Maybe I should prune it next year.
send them to me!

renee
Newly Registered

we have 8 concord grape vines started. All doing well actually. We are going to use a wire fence panel to run them up as a neighbor had done and it seemed to be working well for them. Could a bed be made below them to prevent grass and use it to dump compost into...What is your alls opinion????

Return to “Grapes - How to Grow Grapes”