tomf
Super Green Thumb

Birds and blueberries, sadness.

I have a bunch of Blueberry bushes and some were full of berries, so I planed on picking them the next day. I went out in the morning and there were no blue Blueberries at all, so I thought my wife must have picked them. I asked her if she did and she said “no”. So the birds must have ate them all in one night. I had a mesh over the top once but the snow caved it in, I think I will need to make a stronger cover for my berries. :?

applestar
Mod

Oh bummer! I was going o say didn't you have a mesh berry house I admired before....

I really really want to build one -- I've made do with arched frames and bird netting, but something rips the netting up -- squirrels? GroundHOG? And then the birds get in anyway AND GET TRAPPED INSIDE. I've had dead and mummified chipmunk stuck in the bottom of the netting, too, and one time a young bunny got caught up in it, and even though we rescued it and took it to a rehab center, they told us it would probably die from the fright.

Anyhow, what I want to do is eventually make a large aviary like structure AROUND the berry bushes. Right now blueberries, blackberries and raspberries (and cherries) are all planted in different parts of the property. I'll have to decide if I want to make one huge structure and plant/transplant inside, or smaller individual structure around each kind of tree/shrub.

My kids made a bunch of these that helped to some extent:
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”