Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Indoor growing set up looking for tips

I have two light ballast with one bright and one soft bulb in each. I am a little worried about disease so I have a fan on for 1 hour a day.

I have started some indoor tomatoes sweet N neat and two pepper types :) I want to make pepper bushes with my plants so I can capitalize on my short summer. They are all started now.

Any other suggestions ? I have a short video if it would help. PM me for it. If not ill grab a few photos. Later.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was waiting for the pics, but what you describe sounds fine. The other pieces of equipment I feel necessary for seed sprouting are a heat mat and trays so that you can bottom water.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Wow technology is not doing well today for me. my phone crashed and I restored it and cant get my photo bucket app to work. I post a reply and get logged off lol >.<

I did borrow a heating mat and will now actually get one prior to my January seed starting ;)

I am trying to do winter peppers and tomatoes so any tips would be great!

Sorry no pictures Ill have to figure out how to fix it!

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/tNAmMq9LclA[/youtudotbe]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, so I did watch the video and have a couple comments:

You said 12 hrs on/ 12 off with the light. I don't think that is enough. THE issue for growing indoors is getting enough light. Any amount of light you can give them is so much less than outdoors, that you have to make up for it with more hours. I do 16 hrs on/ 8 off, which is pretty typical. Some people even do 18 on. (24/7 is not better, they do need some rest period.)

Also, I didn't quite understand. You showed the little plant stand with the tray under it and then way up high you showed the two shop lights/ four fluorescent tubes. Where do the plants sit that will be under the shop lights? Not down where the tray is! Light diffuses by the square of the distance. The plants need to be no more than about two inches under the lights.

For winter tomatoes and peppers be sure you read some of the threads we have about it. Here's a few to start you off:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=48807 last year's winter tomato thread

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 15&t=54307 this year's winter tomato thread

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=31055 indoor peppers thread

and if you haven't already, do check the seed starting basics thread, there's no reason why you have to figure all this stuff out for yourself! Trial and error hurts when error means dead or not growing plants :)

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=44183

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

All of the lights move up and down. I bring them as close as I can to the plants :) the small stand is used for seed starting over one of the domed seed starters. When the plants got a little larger I moved the small lights away and put them under the shop lights.

I have a few bits of wood I use to make sure the canopy stays at a consistent height.

I will definitely read up on the winter tomato threads ! Thanks !

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So how are the indoor tomatoes and peppers coming? Sprouted yet? Any updates on how it is all working for you?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

After my monster finally goes to sleep I'll take some pictures!

The tomatoes I have 3-4 that are doing well. I need to up pot them this weekend ! The peppers are doing well. The rio de oro are larger then the habenaro but a little lighter green. Nothing to worry about I think !

I have goji berry and lettuce seeds I am going to start soon :) a nice lush garden in the making !!

How are yours doing ?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Pictures!! I up potted my peppers and tomatoes tonight :)

I also started my goji berry seeds !

My Sweet N Neat tomatoes

On the right my rio de oro and left habanero is still a small guy!

I am sponsoring an indoor Mangel Giant beet growing contest. This is mine :) tiny

applestar
Mod

What are the day/night temps in the growing area?

If in the 60's°F -- If you have two levels, puttting the peppers on the upper shelf above the lights -- or if not, adding bottom heat -- to keep the pepper root zone warm (70's) during the day will encourage them to grow more. Tomatoes will grow fine in 50'-60's.

They are looking good. :D

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am not sure in F but it ranges between 18c and 20c let me use google to translate :) Siri tells me I is 68f

Should I put heat under them or will they be fine? With the peppers I am just trying to make a pepper bush and then let them fruit in the summer.

The tomatoes I am trying to get fruit this winter :)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I love the one that looks like a heart ! I might look for one ! Actually the first plant I tried to keep alive was a peace Lilly. It is doing well with limited direct sun on an ledge :)

I have the veggie grow operation in the basement.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”