RogueRose
Green Thumb

Why PURPLE?

Why is the new growth on my lemon tree coming in purple? Both the lemons and the leaves are purple. Usually when something is dead or dying they drop off pretty quick, but these are hanging on fast. Any thoughts?

[img]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/jeauthomas/IMG_20120508_191723.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/jeauthomas/IMG_20120508_191712.jpg[/img]

It does sort of look like the lemon is greeining up at the bottom...

applestar
Mod

I don't know about the color, but I see scale insects on the leaf above the new growth. :x

RogueRose
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I don't know about the color, but I see scale insects on the leaf above the new growth. :x
I know...I can't get rid of them. I have some stuff I dilute in water and spray but they come back. It's fine in the summer when it's outside but in the winter it gets super sticky.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

If there are only a few then a cotton bud dipped in metholated spirit will get them gone.

applestar
Mod

Yes, JONA. That's what I use -- cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol (giggle) :>

JONA878
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Yes, JONA. That's what I use -- cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol (giggle) :>
Now Now Star......That's getting too personal...gg.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I read about that and it said that the bugs still stay on there even tho they're dead. I think that's the same with the spray that I'm using. I've noticed when it's got the scale insects on there I get a lot of ants on the lemon and it currently doesn't have any ants.

applestar
Mod

Once they're dead, they flake off by simply brushing at them by hand or soft paintbrush, or when the leaves are washed/water sprayed/rained on. I like to remove the remains to avoid confusion. :wink:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Back to the original question: you've got a Bearss lemon. Red/purple/coppery new growth and young fruits are completely normal, and they're actually a diagnosis for the cultivar.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

lorax wrote:Back to the original question: you've got a Bearss lemon. Red/purple/coppery new growth and young fruits are completely normal, and they're actually a diagnosis for the cultivar.
Is it? I thought I had a meyer! Other times the fruits and growth have come in green, but this is the first time it's come in purple. As long as it's healthy and happy though, I guess I'm happy

RogueRose
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Once they're dead, they flake off by simply brushing at them by hand or soft paintbrush, or when the leaves are washed/water sprayed/rained on. I like to remove the remains to avoid confusion. :wink:
I'll have to try this. I'm pretty sure they're dead..

lorax
Greener Thumb

RogueRose wrote:
lorax wrote:Back to the original question: you've got a Bearss lemon. Red/purple/coppery new growth and young fruits are completely normal, and they're actually a diagnosis for the cultivar.
Is it? I thought I had a meyer! Other times the fruits and growth have come in green, but this is the first time it's come in purple. As long as it's healthy and happy though, I guess I'm happy
So here's a question - is the new growth that's red coming in only on one branch, or all over the plant? If it's just one branch, what you might have is a Meyer lemon on Bearss roots (fairly common; Bearss have stronger rootstock), and what you're seeing is one branch from near the base reverting to root type.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

lorax wrote:
RogueRose wrote:
So here's a question - is the new growth that's red coming in only on one branch, or all over the plant? If it's just one branch, what you might have is a Meyer lemon on Bearss roots (fairly common; Bearss have stronger rootstock), and what you're seeing is one branch from near the base reverting to root type.
I have had this lemon for 2 years. Last year all new growth was green - lemons and leaves. But for some reason this year it's all coming in purple. Some of the other lemons are weird colored too. Nothing is falling off yet and it looks like the purple ones are now greeining as the're getting bigger. There is one section that is coming in green. The rest of the new shoots are pretty small and all are purple.

Return to “All Other Fruit”