applestar
Mod

What to do with Anaheim peppers?

OK, my very first Anaheim New Mexico pepper is now a little over 4" long (green). When should I pick it and what should I do with it please?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

You should cook a big pot of beans and eat it fresh with it!

You could add it to a bowl of salsa, it will give it a bite, and not knock you down.

You could even let it get bigger, then roast the skin off, and stuff it with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and onions, then melt it... yum.

They are good just about anyway you want them. Enjoy them now, they will get hotter as the season goes on.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Best green chili flavor is just before it starts to turn red, so I would pick the first one when you start to see color. They make a passable chilipowder when red and dried.

I eat most of my green chilis on cheeseburgers and in omlets. Nothing is better than a southwestern burger. I roast them under the broiler to blister the skin and then freeze. Frozen with the skins on you can break a few out of a gallon ziplock frozen pack for use. They peel easily under warm water when partially frozen.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

We like to split them lenght-wise and seed and vein them. Mix up some cream cheese with spices, whatever you like, and maybe some bacon bits or canned tiny shrimp and then stuff the pepper halves. Lay them on the grill til done and enjoy! We get rave reviews when we have friends over for dinner.

applestar
Mod

Mmm! Sounds good! Keep them coming, I see more peppers on their way! :wink:

I had the last one in an omelet. :D I picked it green but slightly looking lighter in color. Another nice one is due very soon. Oooh, what to make! ? 8)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”