homegrown13

Bird or Bug.. that is the question

So, I was excited to pick my first tomato today, from the near center of my largest plant... not sure how I even saw it.

Anyhow, it looked great on one side, but has a big bite out of the other. I would guess it was from a bird judging by the size (and similar to strawberry damage I was getting before caging them), but could use an extra opinion or two... I know that I was also battling Beetle Grubs for a while, so I hope it's not them.

For reference the tomato is about the size of a tennis ball, and the bite about the diameter of a nickel.

[img]https://brewstands.com/tomato_bite.jpg[/img]

Whacha think?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would say bug. Especially since it was in the center of the plant.

applestar
Mod

Climbing Cutworm or Slug?

homegrown13

applestar wrote:Climbing Cutworm or Slug?
Could a slug do this? I know my snail and slug battle has mostly been in my front yard, I have seen a few in the back.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Climbing Cutworm ...
what? :shock:
I didn't know there was such a thing.

applestar
Mod

That's what I said last year when kimbledawn mentioned them... until I got them on MY tomatoes:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91901#91901
There's a photo of it in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96797&highlight=climbing+cutworm#96797]this thread[/url].
I thought I posted pictured too but can't find them at the moment. In my garden, they were brown/tan with black diamond markings.

-- ETA
Here's a photo of a climbing cutworm that was eating my tomatoes:
(I guess it was black *triangular* markings...)
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image5057.jpg[/img]
Last edited by applestar on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Bird! Look at the shape of the hole. Birds peck a funnel shaped hole. I was told the only reason they do this is to get the moisture. They supposedly are not interested in the tomato. When they have the needed moisture, they leave and leave you with a hole in your tomato. Best way to prevent it is pick the fruit before it is fully ripe. You can also cover your plants as I did last year.

Since it was in the middle of the plant, the birds also didn't see it until it was red ripe.

Caterpillars also normally leave black excrement in the hole as they are eating. It looks pretty clean to me.
Ted

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

A tomato horn worm was doing that to my tomatoes last year. Red and green tomates and the tender stems. Everyday I would go out and the bites wold be bigger and bigger. When I finally spotted him,he was bigger than my thumb and he was hosting a party on his back. I unfortunately flushed it down the toilet, not knowing what I know now about predatory wasps :cry:

As soon as he was flushed, I stopped getting holes in my "may-moes" :lol:

homegrown13

tedln wrote:Bird! Look at the shape of the hole. Birds peck a funnel shaped hole. I was told the only reason they do this is to get the moisture. They supposedly are not interested in the tomato. When they have the needed moisture, they leave and leave you with a hole in your tomato. Best way to prevent it is pick the fruit before it is fully ripe. You can also cover your plants as I did last year.

Since it was in the middle of the plant, the birds also didn't see it until it was red ripe.

Caterpillars also normally leave black excrement in the hole as they are eating. It looks pretty clean to me.
Ted
Had a pretty lousy scarecrow last year... didn't really fool anyone, lol. I have to think it's a bird too, as I was getting the exact same holes in my strawberries until I caged them... I really didn't want to put the energy in to caging these this year, so I'll work on grabbing them early. Next year, I might put up some sort of chicken wire enclosure with a gate.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My chickens do that! Were my chickens at your house? :roll:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”