DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Horticultural Myths

Horticultural Myths,

There are some intersting topics. Take a look.

https://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/index.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

WOW! What a great collection of information! Still working on absorbing and thinking about it all. Thanks for sharing the link.

See my post in the huge ACT Sticky Thread under Organic Gardening for first results of this cogitation.

saku

Very interesting reading, I will have to bookmark the website to refer to in the future. Thank you for sharing.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I knew that treated lumber was no good for the garden! But that's lumber treated with CCA, these days they're treated with ACQ, any info on that?

Also, I did see one myth that wasn't mentioned: how music affects plants. Now, that would make for an interesting study.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

This is a wonderful site, DoubleDogFarm! I'll be busy most of the morning reading these articles. I started from the back, working my way to the beginning, and am having a great time. Thanks!

applestar
Mod

As interesting and revealing as these are, I'm starting to have issues with a lot of them. The titles imply one conclusion -- I.e. That it is a myth/untrue, whereas reading the articles sometimes leave you with a different assessment. Also, the brevity of style leaves me thinking "but, but, but!" with a list of ambiguous statements and unanswered questions.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree AS.... as just one eg, she starts with the "myth" of wood chip mulch and ends with the conclusion that at least for trees, shrubs, and perennials, wood chip mulch is great stuff.

It is sensationalized writing, but there is a lot of good info there. Just can't take everything she says as gospel truth either (see my post about this in the ACT thread).

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I've noticed that she has a bit of a tendency to write titles that function more like headlines (draw attention, build curiosity), but interesting stuff, nonetheless.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Some good reading but it seems that most everything we do is wrong even some of the more fought for topics on this site.

My take, gardening is dangerous, don't do it.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Some good reading but it seems that most everything we do is wrong even some of the more fought for topics on this site.

My take, gardening is dangerous, don't do it.
:lol: You do kind of get that vibe from reading her articles. This could just be the angle that she's after to help promote the site, though. If you think about it, the concept of "Something we thought was good for the garden is bad!" will probably make it's way around the internet a little more than the idea of "something we never thought of is actually good for the garden!"

Hey, it got the site posted here, didn't it :wink:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”