my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Could I store mulch short-term...

in contractor garbage bags? My neighbor has a ton of mulch leftover from a delivery gone awry (was supposed to be taken to his mom's house) and he said I could have whatever is left. I would like to use it but am not ready to lay it down. Would it be okay for me to store it short-term in some plastic contractor garbage bags? I don't want to pass up free mulch but I don't want to do all the work to gather it just to ruin it by storing it improperly.

Thanks in advance!! :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

What kind of mulch is it?

Val

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Not sure. I didn't ask yet. It is light natural colored.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

If it isn't a mulch that has any moisture content, it should be fine to store it in the bags. If it is leaves, grass, compost, etc, putting it in plastic bags is inviting it to rot. Anything else should be okay though. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just to be safe, it might be a wise idea to poke some holes in the bags.

Sounds like you might have compost. The holes will ensure that you don't end up with slime.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

It looks like it is all just wood shred like the kind you buy at the store. I'll put holes in the bags just to be safe. It's only short term but I don't know what I am doing with it yet. I got a lot already and there is still a whooole lot left. Where are good places to put mulch? I was thinking of just putting it around some new bushes that I just got but I'm sure there has to be other places where I can put this stuff and have it be benefitial. Any suggestions?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”