ManChild

Re: My First Raised Bed (with pics)

Here is a video:

Mr green
Green Thumb

Another good thing with it getting away from the wall is its easier to maintain when you can reach it from all sides.

And the video was entertaining! :)

ManChild

I'm getting ready to purchase some soil. I'm looking at getting a couple yards from a place called Bedrock Stone Co. They recommended buying a mix named "Sandy loam" for $27 a yard. This is what the website says it contains:
Sandy loam
Mulch
Manure
Top dressing
Do you guys see anything wrong with me filling it with the "sandy loam"?

ManChild

Hello People,
I decided to go with the "premium top soil" and add my own fert. Check it out:

lovely_star

I'd definitely be concerned about excessive shade/

ManChild

lovely_star wrote:I'd definitely be concerned about excessive shade/
Do you mean from the patio or from the shade sails? The shade sails are only temporary and I have them down for now until it gets crazy hot (Phx).
Thanks for helping

ciinnarose
Newly Registered

I just saw really great designs for raised bed gardens; before you rebuild take a look at this website: www.gardenstogro.com/products/just-add-lumber-gardens/
they have gate entrances to their raised bed garden plans

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They look pretty, but jeez; the "just add lumber" kits - for $250 you get some brackets, some hardware, some netting, and some instructions and plans. And then you still have to buy all the lumber. No thanks, I'll keep building my own. I made four 8x4 beds from landscape timbers for $120 total.

If that's your own website, you are spamming us and all this will be deleted.

Dirt Man

Your raised bed looks good now it is time to plant, broccoli, Napa cabbage, Spanish, lettuce, cold weather crops.

I wish I still had photos of my Arizona garden they are probably on this forum some where. My rows were 15 feet long 3 feet apart with 3/4" PVC pipe irrigation. I turned the water on at 9 pm every evening for 15 minutes. My best garden was planted about mid October this gave me plenty of time to get a good crop. If the garden gets killed by frost I replanted tomatoes, melons, beans, etc. 114 degree heat killed tomatoes in summer but the melons love the heat best melons I ever had. I tried raised beds a few times they just don't work well for me.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”