tdump
Cool Member

Tieing up tomatos in the raised bed,will this work?

I think I came up with a way to hold up my tomato plants in the raised bed this year.
I was given a couple pieces of a cattle panel that was damaged to sell for scrap metal. Well scrap metal is down to 2 cent a pound. Not worth hauling. And I had trouble keeping my 2 Roma's and 3 better boy's straight up in the raised bed. So I had to get a couple 2x4's and staples for wire.
Didn't take long and here is the result.
Screws and heavy wire were free, total cost about 20 bucks for both.
Attachments
DSC00071.JPG
DSC00072.JPG

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Um, maybe. An indeterminate tomato plant with cherry tomato on it will weight 35 to 60 pounds, each. If there is a weak link it is where your trellis is attached to the box. A vigorous grower like one of the Cherokee cultivars will be double the weight of a cherry.

One strong wind on the trellis while laden and it will go over. Ask my why I think so. (shrugs)

tdump
Cool Member

Hum,that is why I ask before time to be needing and using it. Sometimes others can look at something and see a fault that the builder can't. I have several screws in it and the little piece setting on top of the box. But perhaps I will run a angle brace for support.
'

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How tall is your trellis? Aren't cattle panels usually 4'? You made it a little higher the way you mounted it. If you are intending 5 tomato plants again, it doesn't look like nearly enough trellis. Your Better Boys will pretty easily get to 6 ft tall, maybe more. I think Romas are usually determinate and so will not get nearly as tall.

tdump
Cool Member

Well this year I am planning to put only Roma's ,Sun sugar and black cherry tomatoes in the raised beds.
It is so easy to mouse clic and get to much but I will be growing the bigger stuff in the open garden. I bought White Beefsteak seed off ebay along with the Rowdy Reds and Marglobe that I always grow. Better boys are just something I had suckers rooted from last year and stuck in the bed after the cabbage died.
It will be the first year for me growing the White beefsteak and Rowdy Reds and Black cherry .
The panel was originally 52 inches by about 12 foot but had been cut in 2 and used for something and bent up. So the 1 with 2 boards going horizontal is 6 foot wide by about 52 inch on the metal and I put a foot between it and the dirt. The other 1 without cross boards is about 6 foot tall and 52 inch wide.I also spaced it above the dirt about a foot.
You have to forgive me sometimes I get kinda scrambled and such as I suffered brain damage about 10 years ago and I got past most of it but sometimes I get a idea in my head and it may not be the best 1 I could a used .Thus I ask advice . I enjoy doing several different things like welding, restoring old cars and such but my gardening is something I enjoy twice,once when I grow and again when I EAT it :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Lash on something as a brace.

Mother nature finds for me every tomato trellis I forget to add braces to.

imafan26
Mod

braces probably a good idea. I used rebar and rammed 3 inch diam. bamboo on top of it every 3-4 ft and used CRW for the trellis It worked very well. I used what was available and I have access to timber bamboo. I would actually anchor the legs to the ground instead of to the box it will have less sway. Or you can just anchor a pole in the middle to the ground that should give it enough support.

Return to “Raised Bed Gardening”