Marissabella
Newly Registered

Identifying mushrooms again!

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies I got on my last post. These mushrooms keep popping up in my yard. Could someone please help me identify these? I am afraid they might be the death caps.
Some more about them-

Appears to be no skirt.
Looks like it has an egg sack.
Cap does not pop off, but tear or rip off the stem.
Feels kind of tough/rough.
Cap a bit larger than a quarter. Small one about the size of a quarter.
Stem is a cream/white. Cap is a toastish brown.
It was pretty warm today.
These were again, near the stones except in my backyard. Pine trees (young) about 5 ft. away from the sight. Oak tree about 20 ft. These were a pair of 2.
The first one I picked out of the grass, it ripped out. There was no dirt attached (I guess this means egg sack). Second one I dig out. Dirt attached, looks like an egg sack. The caps go upward, then curve down on the ends.

Here are some pictures. Sorry they are a bit blurry. Thank you for any help!
Attachments
MUSHROOM-5.jpg
MUSHROOM-3.jpg
MUSHROOM-2.jpg
MUSHROOM-1.jpg
MUSHROOM-4.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You worry too much. We never recommend eating unknown mushrooms, but yours is very unlikely to be the amanita (death cap, fly agaric) mushroom. Amanitas grow in the woods in association with trees, usually pine, spruce, fir, birch, and cedar. You will not find amanita away from trees. Most (not all) amanitas are colorful: "The quintessential toadstool, it is a large white-gilled, white-spotted, usually red mushroom, one of the most recognisable and widely encountered in popular culture. Several subspecies with differing cap colour have been recognised, including the brown regalis (often considered a separate species), the yellow-orange flavivolvata, guessowii, formosa, and the pinkish persicina." (wiki)

Most common lawn mushrooms are non-toxic: https://americanmushrooms.com/lawnandgarden.htm

That still doesn't mean I am recommending you eat it, just not to be so anxious about mushrooms, which are ubiquitous in lawns in damp climates.

Return to “Mushroom Forum”