pomerinke
Cool Member

Pepperoncini - what are they really?

Hey all!

I really want to start a pepperoncini plant to make my own pickled pepperoncini. (I eat them religiously) But I keep finding contradicting information about the specific variety of peppers. I would like something as similar as possible to the store bought version. If anyone knows what the specific variety is, please let me know.

Also, if anyone has any experience with a provider who can ship to Japan, I would greatly appreciate a link or even just the name of a business.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Just some ideas and what I hope is a useful link.

Sakata Seed is a Japanese company that wholesales seed internationally - LINK. Contacting them and asking that question may help.

It may be worthwhile to do some experimenting if you don't find the seed for pepperoncini this season. Shishito peppers are very similar. I imagine that they are available pickled in Japanese stores so you could try them there.

See if a local garden center has these seeds on their shelves: https://www.growitalian.com/about-franchi-seeds/ . Franchi markets "Golden Line" brand and this is a Japanese company that sells them LINK . I know nothing, however, about this retailer.

From what I understand, the person ordering the product from within the country is taking ultimate responsibility for customs compliance. Certification of the seed as disease free is possible if necessary but it looks like an expensive process.

Steve

pomerinke
Cool Member

Hey Digits,

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out. I ended finding rareseeds.com, who apparently ships internationally. They have a pepperoncini they claim to be the same as found in the same pickled jars we see in supermarkets. And I ordered an heirloom tomato from them as well.

As for shishito, they are closer to a bell pepper than a pepperoncini. Though I would say not nearly as savory, and a bit more sour. I'm not much of a fan of them at all. I tend to enjoy spicy or vinegar-y tasting peppers. (whether fresh or preserved, just not sour)

The Franchi website seems like a legitimate supplier. I've already bought the seeds I want for this season through rareseeds, so I may use them next year.

If they expect me to pay some kind of customs compliance, I'll just let them get destroyed. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for 2 packs of seeds, no matter what is in the seed bags.

I appreciate all your suggestions.

Happy New Year and good gardening!

imafan26
Mod

I found there are a couple of types of pepperoncini. The Italian type is the one that is sold at Baker's seed and the Greek type which I am more familiar with as the one in the jars are sold by burpeee
I also found this one that is reasonably priced and looks more like the pepperocini I am used to seeing. It says they will ship to some international places, but you would have to call to find out if they will ship to Okinawa
https://ohioheirloomseeds.com/products/s ... pper-seeds
This one costs more but if you require a phytosanitary certificate it may be prohibitive ($100 for the certificate) unless you order in bulk.

You should try to shop locally and network to see if anyone in Okinawa has seeds you can get from them.

I have the similar problems here. It is hard to get live plants in or out and some places will only ship to contiguous states. Usually the seed companies that ship to the box stores are the best bet like Burpee and Ferry Morse since they already are certified.
https://sustainableseedco.com/terms-amp-conditions.html

RadRob

Sorry, I didn't see your location but try here. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... pper+Seeds

pomerinke
Cool Member

I did end up finding a group for gardeners in Okinawa on Facebook. It seems like there's really only one or two active people even though there are over 1000 people in the group.

I use aliexpress for my business. I didn't even think to check for seeds on there. I'll definitely keep an eye out there.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Return to “Pepper Forum”