JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Pepper ID? Thanks a lot Ferry-Morse

You may remember last year I got a orange hab from a package of Ferry-Morse California Wonder (bell type) seeds. At the time, I may have blamed Burpee, but I just double checked and they are from Ferry-Morse. They were 100% true habanero, and absolutely came from the package of bell seeds. Anyway, I started my bells from the same lot of seeds this year, and I already have one surprise. Any idea what these may be? I haven't tasted any yet, so I have no idea if they are hot or sweet. The biggest is probably between 3 and 4 inches long right now. Obviously not a normal "bell" type....way to go on the quality control Ferry-Morse!

imafan26
Mod

It looks like a cubanelle type pepper. It is a mild sweet peppper similar to the banana pepper. It is used for stuffing and frying in Spanish, Italian and slavic dishes. It is a good substitute for bell peppers and much more prolific. There are a few cultivars under the cubanelle classification but usualy they ripen to a light green yellow and eventually will turn red. they are anywhere from 4-8 inches long. Cubaneles have a flatter end and does not taper as fast as the Anaheim. Anaheim can be longer and more conical in shape.

Usually if you contact the company you might get some remediation depending on how long you had the seeds. It won't hurt to try. I think Ferry Morse is like Burpee and they repackage seeds sent from their growers. I have occasionally come up with an empty package. I have learned to feel the packages first now to make sure something is in them. I have bought seeds from Ferry Morse outlets and have not really had any problems. They have good prices and reasonably good seed counts for the money and they sent the seeds promptly. So far, I have gotten what was in the package.
I did get a red tomato instead of yellow Brandywine. Apparently a lot of people complained about it so Burpee sent everyone who bought the seeds from their website replacement seeds and an apology.

I bought papaya seeds from the UH seed lab and I should have known better. When I opened the package, they were squash seeds. I should have known better the package was way too bulky.

I bought a rose from Jackson and Perkins that failed to arrive at the usual time. I called the company and somewhere in the system the order to send the rose did not happen, so they sent the rose and I got an extra package in the mail I was not expecting. They sent me an amaryllis as an apology.

For the most part when the companies make mistakes and you have a complaint, they usually will try to rectify it.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote: Usually if you contact the company you might get some remediation depending on how long you had the seeds. It won't hurt to try...

...For the most part when the companies make mistakes and you have a complaint, they usually will try to rectify it...
Eh, I got these from a box store. Probably paid $1.35/pk. And in a way, it's been kind of fun. I'm getting some variety that I didn't expect....

Return to “Pepper Forum”