valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

set just a few seeds

This winter had an early and very cold start. We were at the Nevada place when the heat went out up here, we lost everything growing in the house.

In an upper window was sitting a pot with nice soil. I moistened the soil, eye balling a line across the pot [ 10" ] I put in seeds of the same pepper plant, 4 from a pepper that had turned red and [ 6 ] from a pepper that was eaten when yellow. This is a precious pepper variety given me by a friend on this form.

This is not: If it sprouts that's great, if not that's OK too, this is a please let it grow Lord.

I know it's early but, I have a heat pad under the pot, the sun gracing the pot when it isn't snowing and light set up, ready to flick on should seedlings pop up their little heads.

Richard

applestar
Mod

Good luck :-()

valley
Greener Thumb

Thanks, it cut me when the house plants and those overwintering died. They should do well, this is the first time I've used a heat pad.

Richard

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's never really too early for peppers, within limits. Good luck and the heat mat is almost a necessity for starting peppers minus a good warm greenhouse.

I should probably get mine going here soon. They do take a while to germ up to 2 weeks sometimes more.

valley
Greener Thumb

Update: To my surprise and joy, two seedlings have raised their little faces. In the upper picture you should see two sprouts, in the lower corner is volunteer, not a pepper.

As I mentioned, in the first post, there is an imaginary line down the centre of the pot, with seeds from the green pepper on one side and the seeds form peppers allowed to turn red before being removed, on the other.
I've rotated the pot so the sprout on the left , the line being drawn from the remains of a pepper plant that died in the freeze, should be from the green pepper.

I know this is a humble showing but, still, it warms my heart.

Richard

Can you see them? Look hard.
Attachments
106_2948.JPG
106_2948.JPG (57.59 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

MB3

glad that the peppers are coming back, especially as they are precious to you.

valley
Greener Thumb

I put the light down close to the seedlings, They look nice and healthy, no true leaves yet. Like to see them do well, I'll move them into the greenhouse when it warms up.

Richard

beakhouse

If a person (say, me) were to do this in their work office and the peppers sprouted (which they did), will they grow normally under the flourescent lights or just get leggy and die? I put some Anaheim pepper seeds in a pot of compost and so far, so good, but it could just be dumb luck.

applestar
Mod

Put the seedlings under a desk light (do you have an under shelf fluorescent? or desktop light?) Put it on a riser of some kind so that the top of the leaves is no more than 2 inches or so from the light bulb.

In front of the computer monitor while it is on might be helpful too....

Ref :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 96#p321996

Also... Just posted this photo elsewhere
image.jpg
Anaheim will get pretty big though. 18-24 inches at least, more like 30-36" in the ground last time I grew it. I doubt you can grow it to fruit well unless you can provide sufficient supplemental light. There are smaller peppers that do better in small containers.

Ref :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 81&t=55256

valley
Greener Thumb

Applestar, I did just that, put the light right in their faces.

Richard
Attachments
pepper babies.JPG

Return to “Pepper Forum”