JayPoc
Greener Thumb

The spirit of volunteerism

Early this summer, I saw that a volunteer tomato had sprung up between my retaining wall and deck. I made a note to move it into the garden. I have no idea what variety of tomato this is, but I figured it earned a chance to survive. Well, life happened and I got busy...and never got around to moving it. It's in the space between my smoker and grill, so I moved the smoker (it used to sit on top of the pavers you see in the pics. It's the healthiest looking plant I have going right now. Funny thing is, I'm not sure there is much/any soil down there in the crack. It was partially paved with cement, and there is some gravel mixed in down there. It has had several seasons of dead leaves accumulate in there, although I've tried to periodically clean it out over the years. We'll see how it does...I love a good experiment...

applestar
Mod

Haha I liked that bit about how you moved the smoker so it can live. :D

So were you working the smoker, chewing on a mater sandwich, and spit out the seeds, I wonder? 8)
-- it will be interesting to find out what variety this is :wink: -- it looks like a sheltered spot, it might have more chance to survive the first frosts.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Haha I liked that bit about how you moved the smoker so it can live. :D

So were you working the smoker, chewing on a mater sandwich, and spit out the seeds, I wonder? 8)
-- it will be interesting to find out what variety this is :wink: -- it looks like a sheltered spot, it might have more chance to survive the first frosts.
First frost here is early to mid October-ish, so I should get some tomatoes from it either way. Actually, if I can rig some sort of cover, I might keep it going well after that. The mass of earth behind the wall should radiate some heat. Sunlight could be an issue. This is RIGHT behind my south facing house. The later we get in the fall, the more and more the house gets in the way and the more shaded it is there.

As far as your seed spitting theory, that seems unlikely. I often put tomatoes on top of that wall when I'm picking. Maybe I knocked one over, or a bad one oozed a little in that area?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Oh! I just love it when random vegatable seedlings pop up in the wierdest places! :lol:

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”