roseycheeks
Green Thumb

floral display

100_2776.JPG
We recently had a loss in our family,after several years of ill health my husband 's sister passed away. They had a nice floral display that they gave to him and I was just trying to figure out how to keep it alive longer. It had Carnations in it and they died but the other plants are doing fine, I would like some advice as to how to keep it alive for a while longer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Those are not cut flowers, they are living plants. The back one I think is a dragon tree and the middle one a dieffenbachia. With proper care they can live more or less forever. They are pretty easy care. Put them by a good light window. Water thoroughly and then don't water again until the top part of the soil is starting to dry out. Feed them once a month or so with a liquid fertilizer. Repot annually into fresh potting soil. In a year or two, when they are bigger, at repotting time you will need to separate them into their own pots.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Can I put them on my computer desk? It is cool there and gets a lot of light from both the fluorescent light and a regular light bulb.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I was wondering if I could put them in separate pots now, I am not sure where I will be in a year from now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

roseycheeks wrote:Can I put them on my computer desk? It is cool there and gets a lot of light from both the fluorescent light and a regular light bulb.
Depends: is the fluorescent light right down close to the plants?

A light on the ceiling does no good.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

If I move a couple that are not doing too good, I can put them right under the light!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

100_2777.JPG
Here is where I was talking about, does that look alright?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Umm.... better than nothing. It looks like the light is off to the side of them, not directly over. They will start leaning towards the light, but you can keep turning them. In that situation, I usually do 1/4 turn once a week.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Thanks rainbowgardener, , I will move them more toward the middle I actually did something I don't usually do, got rid of a couple of plants that I did not have room for,not the ones I asked you about, some that some one else gave me. I just did not have the room for these plants. So the neighbors took them this evening. So now the waiting game. to see which Amayllis blooms first.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Since it is winter, would it be ok if I separated them into their own pots so I can take care of them better?

Firsttimegardener
Newly Registered

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post, sorry it wasn't in the intro forum but I couldn't resist when I saw a picture of the plant that I've been trying to ID. I was given a mixed container of house plants as a gift, that very much looks like the one in the first post. I ID'd 4 plants, but the one in the very front of the picture, I couldn't. Does anyone know what it is called, how to care for it, propagate it, its typical life span and does it ever bloom? I've had it for the past 5months and its doing quite well.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”