PinkPetalPolygon

Question about flowers, nectar, & pollen

I wasn't sure where to put this topic even before I started asking about hummingbirds n' bees and so now it's even more of a mixed subject, but here we are: :-()

Okay so bees collect pollen, do they also collect nectar? :oops:

What about butterflies?
Hummingbirds?

Do all flowers have nectar?

What about pollen, do all flowers have pollen? :mrgreen:

What's the difference between pollen and nectar? (If this question is thusly answered by previous questions disregard, :lol: )

Do all/most flowers "replenish" their nectar and/or pollen?

(I understand there are some plants whose flowers replenish their stuff quickly than others)

Thanks! All input is appreciated. :)

I looked it up a little bit on my own and kind of grasped the concepts, for instance, I saw a picture of a bee with a pollen basket? :lol:

But I was thinking I would enjoy someone like a [HG] explainin' it. ;)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Good questions! :) I'm not 100% sure, but here's what I think...
Generaly, bees, butterflies and hummingbirds go for the nectar, which is a sweet liquid that they like. While feasting in the nectar, some pollen gets rubbed into the butterfly, hummingbird, bee, etc. and then they go to a new flower/plant, the pollen falls off and fertilizes the other pollen to produce seeds.

So, the hummingbirds,bees,butterflies don't really care about the pollen...it just accidentally gets on them and travels with them to different plants and flowers, while they drink the nectar.

I think this is right---> ALL flowers have nectar. but NOT ALL need pollen to reproduce so they don't have it.

Well, that's all I know! (I'm hoping I'm right :oops: ) :) Looking forward to more responses!
Last edited by AnnaIkona on Wed May 18, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, sort of. Bees collect and use both pollen and nectar. PPP was right about the pollen baskets. Bees have pouches on their legs which they stuff full of pollen (it doesn't just accidentally get on them). They also collect water. The nectar is the sweet liquid and bees convert it to honey, which is their source of carbohydrates, for energy. Nectar also is a source of various minerals, such as calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium, and sodium. The nectar is stored in a "honey sac," which is like a second stomach, until the bee can get back to the hive and disgorge it. Pollen is tiny solid grains that are the plant equivalent of sperm, male gametes. The bees convert pollen into "bee bread," which is their main source of protein. The pollen also provides some fats, minerals, and vitamins. It is true that in the process of collecting the pollen and putting it in the baskets, they get it all over their fuzzy bodies. It is then transferred to the female parts of that or other flowers = pollination.

Flowers that are pollinated by hummingbirds are very specialized so that only hummingbirds can pollinate them. They have nectar at the bottom of long tubes. In the process of getting to it, the bird bumps its head against the pistils and stamens of the flower, thus collecting and transferring the pollen. Hummingbirds drink the nectar, but do not eat the pollen, just accidentally transfer it. Hummingbirds eat a lot of insects as well as drinking nectar.

Butterflies don't eat, only drink, but they can consume anything that is dissolved in water/ liquid. So they drink a lot of flower nectar and water, but they may also consume rotting fruit, pollen, tree sap, when dissolved in water. Butterflies are weak pollinators -- they are above the flowers on long, thin legs and do not pick up much pollen. They only "eat" the pollen when it happens to be dissolved in water and don't seek it out or collect it. So they pollinate only accidentally and occasionally.

Flowers that depend on insects or birds for pollination produce nectar. Wind pollinated flowers do not produce nectar. This includes grasses, grains, many trees, ragweed, Orchids do not have nectar, but use other lures to trick insects into pollinating them.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Wow! Rainbowgardener, you sure do know tons about this topic! :)
I did not know that the pollen accidentally gets on them...very interesting. I always thought they go for the nectar and the pollen gets attached.
Thanks for the info!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks for that, Rainbow; useful and fascinating - it's gone straight into my gardening information file.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”