RuHappy69

what flowering annuals can I plant - not much sun

I live in northwest NJ, zone 6 and we have a front planting bed adjoining the house. It only gets morning sun and every year I try something new it doesn't work out well. I've tried impatient, double impatient, and random others. The best success I've had is with begonias but I want to do something different. We like to intersperse annuals amongst our shrubs (azaleas, boxwoods) and perennials (some kind of decorative grass, and some other creeping vine type plants I forgot the names of. Its a great spot we just like to jazz it up with some color all spring into early fall, thanks!

applestar
Mod

I love sweet violets in my shady garden -- they self seed. Daffodils for early spring color -- you could get a few potted ones and transplant them this spring -- they'll come back. And plant more bulbs in the fall.

Try Fuchsia. I could never keep them alive in hanging baskets the way they sell them, but they thrive planted in the ground or kept in containers on the ground in dappled shade. I keep them from year to year from overwintered plants and rooted cuttings.

Have you considered colorful foliage like coleus, perilla, or heuchera (p). Also foxglove(b).

RuHappy69

is that I'm basically limited to what the nurseries around me have. I have three clumps of Blue Wonder Campanula that are OK but a bit disappointing, and last year I planted red Dianthus but I think its not an annual because it looks like it can come back again this year.

applestar
Mod

You can get violet plants from [url=https://www.toadshade.com/common.html]Toadshade Wildflower Farm[/url] if you are interested. I've mail ordered from them before and have been happy with their plants, packaging, and customer service.

I haven't tried but I think [url=https://www.bhwp.org/]Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve[/url] in Pennsylvania sells seeds. I go to their spring/fall native plant sale every year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nasturtium does well in part sun and one of my favorites, nicotiana (ornamental tobacco). But the nicotiana gets pretty tall, might not be what you want with your shrubbery.

Agree on the colorful foliage plants, coleus and caladium. They are both tender perennials. The coleus I bring in for the winter and the caladium you can dig and store the bulbs.

I start impatiens from seed every year and it does great for me in part sun & shady areas, but it does need pretty much water, especially in spots where it gets very much direct sun.

RuHappy69

Not sure how that would work for me unless they started inside.. I did do the nasturtium once before by seed and they were OK.. Actually more leaves and less flower (unlike the picture on the packet which looked like the opposite). I started them inside in my daughters room because I thought it would be cool to get the little people involved.

mansgirl

My front yard also has very limited sun, the sun it does get is AM only also. I really like geraniums in my front yard, they're hardy, can handle anything, (even warm morning rays on still wet leaves) and low maintenance. I like to keep my more finicky plants to the backyard near my garden and deck seeing as I like to spend more time out back anyways. : ) If you don't find geraniums to boring and traditional, give them a try!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”