mbrem

Annuals?

Please explain to me what an annual is. I always thought they were a plant that lived for a year and then died. Is this correct?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That's pretty much it. :)

Let's say you start your annuals with seeds. They sprout, grow to maturity, and produce flowers all within a matter of months. The flowers get pollinated and produce seeds. Those seeds are dispersed and the following spring, sprout and grow.

With special care ... greenhouses, manipulation of day length, etc. ... the life of some annual species can be prolonged. Most often, however, the plants don't do very well. They produce stunted growth, fewer flowers, sometimes become woody and unattractive. The plants evolved to complete their life cycle in one growing season, and that's how they perform best.

Some plants that are grown as annuals in cooler climates are actually perennials native to tropical climates. If they are given appropriate growing conditions, they will perform as perennials.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

This might be of interest to you.

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com/search?q=annuals+into+perennials

mbrem

Thanks! That explains why the author of the book I'm reading is talking about his annuals returning.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Many annuals also self-seed freely and return that way. I have nicotiana which is strictly an annual, at least in my climate, which comes back every year from self-seeding. I haven't had to plant it for a long time.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”