lorax
Greener Thumb

Your dog will be fine unless she actually eats them, and most animals are smart enough to stay away from Dats and Brugs.

I've never tried cutting them to transplant - usually I just uproot the whole schmoo and transplant that. I've got no idea how they might react to being pruned, but I expect it might make them bushier. However, I'm a fan of the natural growth habit of the types I plant - their fractal structure is very obvious and striking to me. Most of mine grow in part shade; it just makes them a bit bigger in the leaves.

And yes, dispose of the cuttings rather than composting, and wear gloves (I like disposable Nitriles) while handling.

I'm envious of you and double Dats - I've never had any luck with the cultivars, which is why what you see for my flowers are actually harvested from a weedy local lot (ie wild Dats).

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful flowers but why would anyone grow a poisonous plant. Espeacially in my position I have kids and pets.

No offense but not for me, thanks. :wink:

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I agree. I am pushing it even having rooted 3 Oleander cuttings lol :P I read an article once that said

"But aren't oleanders poisonous? Sure they are; so what! You aren't planning to eat your oleanders, are you? Those of us who live up North should know that rhododendrons and azaleas, which we all grow and love, are as bad or worse than oleanders in the toxin department. So is English ivy. Daffodils and lily-of the valley will send you straight to Hades, too, not to mention all those houseplants: poinsettias, dieffenbachias, philodendrons, Christmas peppers, and peace lilies (there's a reason they're called peace lilies!). Your animals are too smart to munch on them, and you and your children should be, too."
[url]https://www.oleander.org/culture.html[/url]

lorax
Greener Thumb

Not to mention Euphorbias and their ilk, a number of cacti, most Amaryllis, and a goodly selection of popular annual flowers as well (Jerusalem Cherries, anyone? No? How about Impatiens?)

I grow a great many toxic plants, although probably my Brugmansias and Oleander are the worst culprits, but BG has an excellent point. My parents taught me at a very early age that unless it was a plant that I 100% recognized, I shouldn't even touch it without asking somebody, let alone eat it. I will pass that down to my own kids when I have them - especially here, where there are so many more toxic plants.

If I were limited by non-toxic contents, my garden would be about 80% smaller than it is today.

miagardener

I AM SO EXCITED EVERYONE! MY DOUBLE PURPLE DATURA METELOIDS ARE BLOOMING TODAY. OMG THEY'RE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL! WHAT DETAIL IN THE FLOWER DESIGN! I WILL HAVE SEEDS IN A LITTLE WHILE SO IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN THEM, LET ME KNOW. :)

THESE SHOULD SEED LIKE THE WHITE ONES CORRECT? LITTLE SPIKY FRUITS? THANKS. I'LL POST PHOTOS WHEN THEY'RE IN FULL BLOOM! <3

Sorry for the caps, I was so excited. LOL!

@lorax, thank you so much for the helpful information and replies. :)

miagardener

Today was a nice day to walk out into my garden, the caterpillar that had it's cocoon on the handrail of my porch fluttered right into my face when I opened the door and then to see the gorgeous purple datura metel flowers blooming, terrific!

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

They sound amazing! You should post a picture of them on here :)

miagardener

Hey everyone, the daturas (my datura meteloids & double purple daturas) are huge and beautiful. However, the datura meteloids have gone kind of crazy. I see how people can have problems with them getting out of hand. Thankfully I have mine somewhat under control, as soon as the flower starts to wilt, I cut it off, not giving it a chance to seed, that seems to help! :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”