mingbop

Hardy Plants for Scottish Clime

I'm in Scotland, live high on moorland, we get a lot of wind and long winters down to -17C. Frost free growing season is 3 months from 1st june. I can't seem to keep things more than 2 years, think the soil is really poor. Can't grow pansies, can't grow roses, can't even grow MINT lol. Any advice on really tough flowers & shrubs ? This year I have planted a lilac, hydrangea, a buddleia, some hollyhocks, and flax. They wont survive I know it, but I tried anyway...I would love a cottage garden.Mary

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Mary, welcome to the forum.
Scotland is one of those places I have to visit one day :) Then I'd know your conditions a little bit better!

My first advice is to get your soil tested and see what it is lacking/has too much of. I'd also start a good compost heap of leaves, grass clippings, and kitchen waste started so you have good soil in the works to add to your own.

I can't believe you can't even grow mint! :shock: I've seen that growing in lakewater, in sand in Florida... it's like the almighty plant that just won't die. :lol:

I can't suggest good plants for you as I'm only really familiar with zones 7-11, but there are other folks here who can help you there :)

meesh
Cool Member

I went to a website, gardensofscotland.org, and there appear to be many. Maybe go to a garden near you and get some ideas. They may be able to help with suggestions and tips on what they do. Some of them looked quite lush, hopefully one is near you.

mingbop

We have some brilliant gardens yes, --but not in this village lol... It's on a hillside, and the neighbours say all the goodness is washed downhill. They don't have nice gardens either, most just have grass and a wee tiny border....But I want some mint and some rosemary very much, even if I have to grow in pots plonked in the garden ! lol. Mary. In a bad mood.. ! :evil:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Check out the soil building threads in the organic forum

mingbop

8) Oh, I've just done that , thanks. It says no bare soil --and that's all I've got ! lol -- with a really tough shrub plonked here and there...I am going to stop putting kitchen waste on the fire, and put it on the garden instead... Compost R us... :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Wow, I'm glad that you had a look. Sounds like a plan. I would dig a trench and put them in the trench and then cover that over with soil as you go.

Remember that leaves, grass clippings and manure (and if you live near a coast seaweed) are all your friends when it comes to building soil.

Rock phosphate is something that you can buy that will help to make great soil by building soil aggregates.

hypnerotomachia
Newly Registered

newspaper helps to build good soil

mingbop

I had no idea on all this--I thought you had to buy plant food and squirt it on them. But I tried that and some plants don't like it and sometimes the rain washes it away ....and it just doesnt work for a whole garden. My neighbour says bone meal, what do you think ? :?:

GREENWIZARD
Newly Registered

bone meal will help add some goodness to your soil
would it be possible for you to build some raised beds which will help to hang on to the goodness instead of it being washed away.

mingbop

Raised beds - not really, but I have a few corners and sheltered flat bits I can concentrate on. Does bone meal go on in winter or can I do it now ?
Also I did try the compost bit, but I don't keep well and it was hot so I've never got round to it, a lot of the time I just havent got the energy or strength to dig holes. 8)

GREENWIZARD
Newly Registered

I add a handful of bone meal each time I plant something new
I don't think there's much point adding it in the winter if it will be washed away by the rain
I tend to sprinkle some all over my borders in early spring to give things a boost

mingbop

ok cool. ta x

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”