yoga_chia
Newly Registered

eating nasturtium flowers when planted with other flowers?

Hi :)
I've planted nasturtium ("capucine") and it has begun flowering. I will use the edible flowers in salads, drinks, etc. However, my friend pointed out to me that my nasturtium is planted in the same pot as gladiolis plants. She said that if these are not edible, it could make the nasturtium unedible as well. I don't want to get sick by eating contaminated nasturtium flowers... What to do?
Thanks for any help!

applestar
Mod

I guess the obvious question is -- How are you growing them -- potting soil, pesticides, etc. used? I guess it's true that some plants could exude substances that *could* be toxic -- and these substances could be taken up by the others -- but I don't know if that's true of gladiolus and nasturtiums.

I love nasturtiums. Flowers are lovely in salads, but I also like the big round leaves in sandwiches -- definitely tastes like watercress (Nasturtium officinale). The shape/size is also perfect and gives a wonderful kick to hamburgers, too :wink: (solves the problem of what to use instead of lettuce in the hot months)

yoga_chia
Newly Registered

thx and no, no pesticides
I ate them and everything was fine, so I guess it's all good!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”