Katy9532
Newly Registered

Need ideas for a good hardy shade plant

I have two small beds that are surrounded by concrete with a very very large oak tree in the middle of both. I had planed on planting boxwoods in both, but my neighbors (I live in a condo community) are saying they would like me to do something different in each garden. I have the boxwoods in my back yard and they LOVE this area, so I know I will do them in one of the gardens.

SO, I need a good idea for some kind of shrub that has a similar growth pattern to the boxwood. The area does have the tree so is mostly shaded but does have some flittered sun. What ever I plant must be able to handle the heat of a TX summer and the cold freezes that we get every winter.

Again this is why I love my boxwood, I did not even cover them when it froze this summer!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Haesuse

do you really want something similar to boxwood? I ask that, because of the condo association concern. if the neighbors want something different, then wouldn't getting a shrub that's very similar defeat the entire purpose???

but, if you do want something similar in shape and size and relative ease of maintenance, you could try privet hedge.

Katy9532
Newly Registered

I see your point, and ill look into the plant you mention. I really ment something that could handle the summer heat and winter freeze of north TX like the boxwood can.

I ended up finding a Japanese Mnt Fire at home depot that the guy there said would work well. Also due to the amount of roots in that bed from the tree I know I cannot dig the holes I thought I would be able to. So I now am thinking one good accent plant and some pretty ground cover.

Any good ideas on ground cover?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

This may not be a shrub, but I planted my caladiums under my tree in the back and they grew real well. They didn't need real deep holes for the bulbs so I was able to get them in there amongst the tree roots no problem, the tree also hasn't robbed them of water. Theres 14-15 around my tree. Always worth a thought

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/OakHillCars/caladiums.jpg[/img]

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”