Lillie
Newly Registered

Overwintering Alstromeria

I have a question for Alstromeria lovers. For the last three springs I have been purchasing Alstromeria, Princess Lily, from a garden center and planting them in pots. I was told at the center that they were annuals, so I assumed that they could not be overwintered, so I did not try to keep them. I was reading on the internet the other day that Alstromeria can be overwintered in your garden. I am a little confused and I wonder if there are different types of Alstromeria. Mine have large tubers or rhisomes. If they can be overwintered, can I overwinter them in the pots or should I transfer them directly into the soil in the garden? Also, can I bring them in the house and use as houseplants through the winter?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You can vernalize them if you live in Atlanta; Dr. Mark Bridgen has been working a long time on a hardy Alstromeria and while close ('Sweet Laura'), it won't make it in your neck of the woods (I have helped the good doctor to kill thousands of them in the great search and he's still looking...) :roll:

Scott

Lillie
Newly Registered

Darn, I was hoping I could overwinter them. :( Thanks Scott.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Alstromeria is a rhizome, and is similar to a dahlia, so why couldn't you try overwintering them the same as is done with dahlia's?

Wait until after the first frost to dig the bulbs or rhizomes. The dahlia, (or in this case, Alstromeria) root clumps should be lifted and shaken to remove the soil and have the tops cut off at ground level.

They should be spread in a dry place for 2-3 weeks to cure. After curing, break off the old shriveled material and roots. Before storing, put the rhizomes in a paper bag with diatomaceous earth powder, and shake well to control any bacteria or infestation.

The rhizomes, or tubers should be dried well but not to the point of shriveling. Many individuals will store them in vermiculite, peat or sand. In a dry paper bag, or cardboard box. Store in the coolest frost free place in the home (40-50 degrees is ideal). However they are stored, check occasionally to make sure that they aren't getting moldy from being too wet or shriveling from being to dry. Don't divide until next spring.

What have you got to lose - you'r going to buy new one in the spring anyway right? Give it a try! :wink:
VAL

Lillie
Newly Registered

I havn't tried drying and storing them because the tubers seem to be more fragile than Dahlia's, but you are right, Grandpasrose, I have nothing to lose. I will try it and let you know how it turns out next spring. Thanks. :D

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Good for you! If we didn't dare to experiment, how would we discover all these new wonders? Be sure to let us know how it turns out! :wink:
VAL

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”