janlac
Newly Registered

Weed or plant? Please help this rookie gardener!

Hi there, I just started pot gardening this year. We would always get hanging plants in the summer but this year we have decided to plant some veggies and daisy in pots. I have also added more hanging plants in our little railing and I must say it's a joy to step out and sit in the balcony now with all these life growing. :) :-()

Just now tho as I was adding soil to my beets box, my boyfriend asked what this plant is growing next to the daisy plant, I said it's another daisy but he insisted that they don't look the same. I stop and checked it and he's right :roll: lol. He's thinking it might be weed but I do not want to pull it out without making sure.
2016-08-20 14.10.11.jpg
2016-08-20 13.41.45.jpg
One of my rookie mistake too is not labeling the small seedling pots when I planted the seeds and I have one plant growing and not sure what it is and what pot to use with it. Would be awesome if someone can identify it! :)
2016-08-20 14.09.57.jpg
I also noticed that the leaf on my tomato plant is turning a bit yellow. I'll try watering it more and adding food fertilizer...If there is better suggestion, would really appreciate it!
2016-08-20 14.10.07.jpg
I'm still learning as I go and I probably started the plants too late in the season but I'm still hopeful they will grow more before the summer is over. Here are more pictures of what we have in the porch, boyfriend is already complaining that we have too much but I like them and enjoy taking care of the plants, hopefully we get some veggies! I already enjoy snipping fresh herbs when I cook. O:)
2016-08-20 14.11.21.jpg
2016-08-20 14.17.35.jpg
2016-08-20 14.17.52.jpg
2016-08-20 14.17.57.jpg

P.s. we live in Pennsylvania and get sun on that side from 2-3pm to 8-9pm.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

top three pictures are all weeds. The middle one of those is clearly lamb's quarters. It is a weed, but an edible, nutritious one, known as wild spinach.

Your tomato plant is in way too small a container. Tomato plants if they succeed are very large plants. But you didn't tell us where you are located. If you are in cold winter country with a first frost date any time in October, you are never going to get any tomatoes from that plant. You are right, you started considerably too late. Next year you will do better! :D

Your impatiens are pretty and your herbs look to be doing very well.

applestar
Mod

I thought the 3rd photo just above the tomato looks like a community starter of some kind of cabbage family seedlings?

I agree 2nd one looks like lambsquarters, and the 1st photo looks like another lambsquarters and a pigweed.

imafan26
Mod

You are barely getting enough sun for the tomatoes. Herbs can do well and you can take them inside for the winter.

janlac
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone! I'll remove the weeds and use the pot for my aloe vera. I'll probably keep the tomato plant and see how far it will go :)

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”