Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

ok....here we go

here is my front yard garden so far....it is largely containers....but one raised bed and some strawberries in the ground

this is my front fence with pears espaliered to it....there are six pear trees in all, with 3 regular and 3 asian.....the dark area in front of the fence is a strawberry bed, with Mara Des Bois strawberries.
Project1 copy.gif
the next picture shows some of my containers with asparagus and tomatoes and things.... :mrgreen:
Project2 copy.gif

this picture is some of my tomato containers....top left are cherokee purple....below that are black krim, and upper right is brandywine.....just peeking their heads out below the brandywine, you may be able to detect my moon & stars watermelon
Project3 copy.gif
the next are my one raised bed with Mara Des bois strawberries
Project10 copy.gif
here are my june bearing and everbearing american strawberries....Ozark Beauty & Honeyoye
Project12 copy.gif
with a closeup of one of the Ozark Beauties with berries
Project13 copy.gif
here is one of my smaller containers with ichiban eggplant and some korean hot peppers that my wife got at the korean store...yes, I know....they look crowded, but that's the way I roll... :mrgreen:
Project5 copy.gif
here is an overview of some of my tomato plants...in the center and upper right are white beauty...center-left is a round bed with my japanese cucumbers and some kellogg's breakfast tomatoes
Project8 copy.gif
I'll have to do a follow-up post as it won't let me add another picture.....but this is a good start....I await your comments and hope you like it so far

/dave/
Last edited by Lonesomedave on Wed May 11, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Looks really good Dave. Your tomatoes are big compared to mine. I like the look of your front garden with the white fence and espalier.

applestar
Mod

Love it! What a cute entry yard garden! :D

...this is going to be fun watching them all grow -- I predict a jungle by the end of the season, but how rewarding! :-()

Are the containers all SIP's?

Lonesomedave

PART DEUX....

ok....here are a couple of big rainbow tomatoes, asian peppers and fairy tale eggplant
Project17 copy.gif
next....well, the sun was a little bright, but what you have is two big round containers with sunsugar cherry tomatoes
Project18 copy.gif
and then... a closeup of my japanese cucumbers with 4 kelloggs breakfast tomatoes....the tomatoes are a little hard to see because I just planted them, but the cucumbers will spill down onto the bricks and leave plenty of room for sunlight to get to the tomatoes
Project21 copy.gif
almost done.... :mrgreen:....here is view (poor though it is) of my 2 black cherry tomatoes.....in the small round container in the middle are black beauty eggplants....and in the 3 big containers on either side is asparagus....I know you'll think I am crazy to bunch up my plants like this, but those black cherry tomatoes are the most crowded and yet, the biggest plants I am growing.
Project22 copy.gif
and, finally....you probly didn't read it, but in the bonsai section, I recently posted that I got a juniper pom pom, and was going to treat it like a big bonsai....well, here it is....I give you the world's biggest bonsai
Project19 copy.gif
that's pretty much the show...I await your further critique

applestar...forgive me, but I don't know what SIP's are....

/dave/

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Your landscaping and garden looks awesome - really lovely and healthy. So question for you: which plants/vegies do you successfully crowd in containers? I have officially run out of space. Either I have to start doing some "time sharing" or get more containers. I'd prefer to do the former to avoid spending even more money on my garden habit, but I'd love some pointers since you are clearly the one to give them!

Really, really beautiful!

imafan26
Mod

I like the way you have incorporated the veggies in the front garden but still have it somewhat secluded behind the fence.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

WOW! Those are some healthy plants. I bet you get quite a few admirers of your front yard.

Lonesomedave

thank you very much for the kind words.....yes, it has been some work, but spread out over 3 or 4 years, not so bad

and, yes, I get a lot of foot traffic on my little street, people walking dogs and such, and they always stop and comment on it

Kitchengardner....I am not sure I know the secret to crowding them properly, but I will try.

for one thing, BIG containers....that way, even though they may be crowded above, they can happily take in all the good things from the soil they want, and there is still plenty left over

also, when you combine things that grow up and things that grow down, no problem.....take my big round container with cucumbers and kellogg's breakfast tomatoes.....I'll let the cucumbers spill out on the bricks, and the tomatoes will grow up....same thing with my brandywine and my moon & stars melon....the tomatoes grow up, the melons grow down

I also think, as long as there is no real competition for soil space, plants feel more "comfortable" if they have some buddies around.....it sort of like the old 70's thing about talking to plants......in the wild they would be crowded, and that is just what I am doing

I treat each container as though it were one plant....or maybe a separate ecosystem

and my philosophy has always been....a little all the time is better than a lot at once.....so, I do use compost tea, manure tea, fish emulsion, seaweed....I use all the stuff in my signature, but at very low rates.... just a little, every week...slow and steady wins the race.... :mrgreen:

and, applestar....yes, by the end of the season, it does get rather jungly, but that's ok.....the end of the season is, by definition, the END of the season, so, I just leave it, harvest whatever I can till cold weather shuts it off....and then clear everything away in preparation for next year

I have had this garden now 3 or 4 years, and I believe I am making the best use of limited space, and it just looks so good when everything is growing and vibrant and healthy....

/dave/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful! What a lovely and very productive use of a space that for most people would be just more lawn!

My previous house, I had a 10 x 5 raised bed veggie garden in the front yard, because it was the best sun; the backyard was very shady. But I always did like how it looked. Besides being productive, I thought it was more ornamental / interesting than just more lawn. Unfortunately the person who lives there now, the first thing they did was rip that out and put it back to lawn. :(

But yours is even better, being bigger and so nicely defined by the white fence!
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Thu May 12, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonesomedave

rainbowgardener wrote:Beautiful! What a lovely and very productive use of a space that for most people would be just more lawn!....

But yours is even better being bigger and so nicely defined by the white fence!
man...coming from YOU....that means a lot to me....thank you so much

/dave/

KitchenGardener

Thank you Dave! that really helps. So right now, I have two round terra cotta pots and I'm wondering if I can put more in - what do you think:

Pot one: 18" wide by 14" tall: currently has one ghost pepper and one serrano pepper. Can I fit more peppers or something else?

Pot two: 21" wide by 18" tall: currently has one mortgage lifter tomato and one persian cucumber. I have staked the tomato and put some fencing material on one side for the cuke to climb up. Can I put something else in there?

Both pots look ridiculously empty and I would love to bring in more friends for each if I could. Soil is a great mix of potting soil, potting mix, compost, aged manure, and organic fertilizers. I provide fish/kelp emulsion once every week or so, and have other nutrients and amendments on hand as needed (if I can figure out what's needed!) What do you think? I have more peppers needing a home, and later in the season, will want to grow winter squash of various varieties.

Please oh please say yes!

Lonesomedave

kitchengardner...ok...let's go first things first....

I don't know anything about winter squash...have never grown it...don't really like to eat it....I fix some every now and then for my wife, but I just have to plead complete ignorance on that

NOW....as far a pot number one, with just two plants, absolutely I would plant more in there...if this were february instead of may, I would say, start off with some lovely spinach....but we are where we are...so, maybe a yellow squash or an eggplant....maybe even a cherry tomato

on pot number 2....if it were me, I would take the cuke off the trellis and just direct it's growth to the ground (or, in my case, bricks).....this will free up all kinds of room....with a 21 inch pot, you can put in a couple more tomatoes, or your peppers....basically, whatever you want (within reason.... :mrgreen: )

you're kind of stuck this year....next year, plan in advance....decide what you are going to do, and plant the plants reasonably close to the same time....your nutritional regimen seems good....I personally would add some calcium and magnesium and sulfur....all easily obtainable....epsom salts, eggshells etc...I use calcium nitrate, but it's up to you

however much fertilizer you think you need...use less....but water them every week with some tea...made from leaf compost, fish emulsion, manure, kelp...all the things you use

early in the season (and this will be heresy to the organic purists....but I can't help it), use a little peters triple 20 or equivalent....use the kind that contains trace elements, and use it VERY SPARINGLY!....if the directions call for one spoonful per gallon, I use maybe a tenth of that....and I don't use it all the time, just in the beginning to give my plants a little extra boost....growing boys and all that

I am an organic gardener, but not fanatic about it.....but I draw the line at any sort of bug or weed poison...don't use it....never use it....your want your soil to be alive and healthy...I know you probably already know this, but, just in case

I think you'll find this works out better than you imagined....one of the reasons they advise placing plants so far apart is that it makes working them easier for big spreads...I do not (and you will not) have that problem with containers....they are all easy to work with

as I said, I believe plants like to have buddies close by, and I have taken this to mean that they don't care what species....that's why I grow mixtures of plants in several of my containers

I did not grow any beans this year, but in past I have grown bush beans in my big containers, and I sowed them like grass....and they came up like grass....you almost could not see the ground in the containers...but, we had so many beans we couldn't eat them all....out of, essentially, nine or 10 square feet

be bold....nobody told me how to do it....next year, just buy some plants and crowd them together....you'll learn what works and what doesn't....but I bet it will be much more successful than the manuals say it will be

good luck!

/dave/

KitchenGardener

It is official: I have a new hero and it is LonesomeDave!

[Full disclosure: it doesn't take all that much, just someone knowledgeable with a beautiful house and garden, to tell me that I should plant more :() ]

In all seriousness, thank you so much! I know I threadjacked (and you have been gracious and lovely about it) your wonderful progress report so please carry on. I would love more photos - of growth, of landscaping design, of your pots (whether they're Self Irrigated Planters or not, of your bounty!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”