Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What size container for miniature roses?

I'm thoroughly inexperienced with roses! I have 3 miniature roses growing in pots, because there is no area in my yard that has proper drainage and sun for them. They seem to be doing fine, except they've picked up some kind of bug. (Sorry my camera battery is dead!) I'm pretty sure it's some kind of mite, and I plan to spray them with Safer Soap tomorrow -- supposed to rain today.

The one I got last year is in an 8-inch pot and doing really well. I put the 2 I got this spring into 6-inch pots. I chose smaller pots for the new ones, because when I transplanted the one last year into the 8-inch pot, it promptly stopped growing and didn't bloom until the fall. The ones in the smaller pots dry out amazingly fast! Should they be in larger containers?

BLScheer
Newly Registered

I have minis growing successfully in 10-12 inch pots. I transplanted into these larger pots as soon as I received the plants by mail order. Yes, I have also experienced small pots drying out quickly! Mini roses should do well in 12 inch pots or larger for several years if kept well-watered and fertilized with dilute fertilizer frequently.

It may take a year or so to see much new growth and blooms since a lot of the plant's energy is devoted to developing a good root system.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thank you so much! :) I'll visit my garden shed and locate some larger pots. I love the little roses and want them to be comfortable! :)

Return to “Rose Forum”