lambs ear
Newly Registered

I would love to start a garden of miniature roses

I am new to growing roses and I need some advice. I would like very much to have an area of minis and what I need to know is EVERYTHING!!!
Where should I put the bed and then how should I prepare the soil to make ready for the little beauties? Also any advice on choosing good plants and fertilizing would be greatly appreciated!

doccat5
Green Thumb

You treat the minis just like you do their bigger cousins. Rich organic material, at least 6-8 hours of sun and water as needed. They are lovely, and look for disease resistant varieties. Most are tea types but the development of mini rugosas is coming on strong. I can hardly wait since I prefer that variety in the big guys.

BLScheer
Newly Registered

I have a few miniature roses growing in pots. The best-performing ones are Harm Saville (dark red) and Happy Thoughts (bright orange). Both took right off when I planted them this spring and have lots of blooms. Both are disease-resistant and should also be suited for cold climates such as Illinois. Others to consider in your area are Pacific Serenade (yellow), Saluda (orange) and Pacesetter (white).

I bought these minis from NorEast Miniature Roses. I talked with the workers on the phone and they gave very helpful advice. Directions for transplanting and plant care come when ordering the roses.

Good luck!

Return to “Rose Forum”