kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Almost Dead - No Green - Love Rose

Due to the extreme heat here I am on the verge of loosing my love rose. It was a BR from J&P. It had one good blooming cycle then the drought hit. I watered it, but all of the leaves have dried up, and I can not see any more green in it.

I found some Super Thrive today and I was considering using it to try CPR for this rose. Drastic times call for drastic mesures right?

What are your thoughts? Thanks-Kevin

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As you said. What can be lost? Go for it...

I've used the Super Thrive before with mixed result; I'd try Messenger, the new miracle cure on the market. Works for every plant on every disease and increases vigor and fruiting to boot. If anything would work...

S

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Don't give up on it! I have had roses appear to be dead, and have them come back from the bud union. Patience!! :wink:
If your rose has done this because of lack of water, certainly give it water, but be sure not to oversoak it. Because it no longer has any leaves or anything, it need for water will not be as great, and if you overwater it, it could begin to get root rot, and then you will have certainly lost it. :(
Give it some tender loving care, water and time.
If you are losing patience after a while, before giving up, gently remove the soil from around the stock of the rose, and the bud union and some of the root is exposed. You should be able to tell by scoring the bark if your bush is still green and live inside or not. If so, then it will come. Recover it and wait some more. I have had roses come back a couple of months after thinking they were dead. :wink:
Best of Luck!
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good advice from a great gardener. Thanks Val...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No Problem! I hate to see a good rose die! :wink:
VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

I have scored, it, and it is brown. I have been putting M. Grown Rose Food, and Growth Harmone on it. (The stuff smells like baby vitamans) and we shall see. We got pretty dry, but not as dry as in the past. So far this was my only victum this year of the drought.

PS Found a great deal at a local nursery, they were marking all of there tree roses from 49.99 to 5.00 US. It was awesome. I got the last 3, queen elizabeth, Linclon, and 7 sisters? Roses Trees. Right now they are in quareteen untill I can get them desiese free before I put the in the garden... That's standard proceedure for me, Is anyone else this extreme when introducting new roses from growers?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not really, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. All sorts of things roses can exchange...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I do keep any new roses aside for a couple of weeks when I get them to assess if there is anything going on with them that I don't want to introduce to my others. It is a good practice, especially if you have several roses. Once a disease begins, it can rapidly take over your whole group. :(
How far down on your rose did you score to find brown? Don't give up though!
What an incredible price for your three new roses! I hope they were healthy. Queen Elizabeth and Lincoln are both very good well known roses. Seven sisters is also known as Grevillei. It is called Seven Sisters because it's flowers change color - opening as dark pink,(almost purple) and fading to almost white. It is known to be a very vigorous and healthy rose, with a little tendency to mildew. It began as a rambler, so as a tree rose, it may get a little gangly - nothing pruning won't solve. It flowers in large clusters of double blooms and has a strong scent. Sounds like a nice rose. :wink:

acapharmony
Newly Registered

Yes I am very careful were my new rose bushes go I HAVE TWO THAT ARE IN THE ICU.They are very sick and do not want them passing it on to my new ones I placed them in a whole diffrent spot in my yard one of the new ones is looking rather dull but I think all the visable buds have died back soon I hope more will bloom thanks alot...

Return to “Rose Forum”